Your age when you got your first Z car  

103 members have voted

1. 1. Your age when you got your first Z car

• 16 or below
    • 17-21
    • 22-30
    • 30-40
    • above 40

My first Z was a 1979 ZX Brown and Gold. Got for $300 in 1992 while I was stationed on the lovely island of Guam USA. It was hit on the passenger side door, you could not even open the door it was hit so hard. I got a rusty door from the junkyard and welded it together with the lower of of the dented door to make a complete door. We filled the dents with bondo and other things, sanded it out...painted it blue then sold it for $2000.00. The thing that stuck with me about that car was how great it ran...it gave me the Z bug since then I have never NOT been a Z owner. When I got back to the states in 94 I purchased my 78 which had 178K miles on the odo, it is now up to 380K on the original engine. I will never forget my first Z, she was ugly but fun to drive.

My first Z was a silver 1974 260Z back in 1979, I was 20 years old. I was in the Marine Corps and was stationed at 29 Palms, California. I made just enough money to keep the car insured and full of gas with a little left over for fun. I kept the car for two years and traded her in for a 1977 Monte Carlo.

I didn't know what I had back then but I sure loved the car. I'm on my 6th Z now and haven't lost any of my desire for these cars!!!

Bruce

OK, I have a confession...when I was 18 I almost bought a 280zx turbo from my boss at the time. I was actually just going to see him about it, and I passed him on the road. We pulled over, and I hit the gravel and couldn't stop in time. BANG right into the back of him (my only accident ever). Not too much damage, but the deal was off and I paid for the new bumper and some paint.

I know 280zx's get flamed here, but at the time that car was very unique and cool. 2 tone blue/silver.

I just got my 72 240z almost 3 years ago at age 32.

Zak

I was 19 and stationed at Fort Hood TX in early 73. My 71 Toyoto Corolla was stolen and I took the insurance money flew back to Atlanta to buy another car at auction. My father told me about 240Z's and said I should consider it. I had never seen one up close until I saw the yellow 71 that I bought that night. I drove it back to TX the next day and have loved them ever since. I came back from TX about a year later and within a week my dad bought a new 260.

I was 15 in 1985 when I got my first, a silver 1975 280z. Held onto it until the upkeep became ($$$) more than a high school kid could afford. I got my second last year, an orange 1972 240z.

Funny thing is... I'm still not sure I can afford it. ;)

Jay