IGNORED

240Z Header Recommendation

jmark

Your thoughts mirror mine. I would hate to get rid of it if someone else could use it, but I need to clear out the garage. The wife does not want me storing parts I am not using.
If I was keeping the yellow car, I'd want yours for myself. As it is, I don't want to spend more money on a car I'm trying to sell.

Hi Mark,

I'd go as small primaries as you can find for a stock 240, on the street, unless you plan on really winding it.....

That being said, if you are interested, I do have a couple of stock manifolds, you're welcome to check out if needed...and Mackamans stepped ITS header...that could be bought for a bargain...the stock manifolds are even less if you are looking that direction, I think I owe you for a windshield anyway.

I'm sure you've seen the write up by Katman years back comparing headers to the stock 280 manifold...I think maybe 2 HP/Torque difference? Over on Zhome.com.......

Quieter/heavier....vs.....2-3 HP, louder "maybe a good thing?"

Headers do look cooler as well.

Personal preference issue

David

Thanks for the info guys. Keep it coming. Stahl is the only header mfg. that makes a 1 3/8" & 1 1/2" primary header as far as I know. Jere is going to get back to me on his recommendation. From what I am seeing the one point everyone agrees on is the Stahl is tops. Katman recommended a Stahl 1 3/8" or 1 1/2". David what does Mack's header look like? Is it one similar to what Sunbelt uses? How big are the primaries on it? Anyone here actually using a Stahl header?

You may want to e-mail Jock Rhodes.

jock@billsdatsun.com

He has a header that is good for a stock L24, at least that is what I've heard. He is knowledgable and you may want to talk to him. I don't know the price. All I have seen is painted, but I'm sure he or you can get it coated. I personally prefer the ceramic coatings. They have been very resilient.

Katman recommended a Stahl 1 3/8" or 1 1/2". David what does Mack's header look like? Is it one similar to what Sunbelt uses? How big are the primaries on it? ?

Mackamans is a stepped header that could be made to look acceptable....Welds are a little rough but is quite functional...I'll send you a picture when I'm back home.

David

These are 1.5" primary, 2" collector. Worked great on ITS 240, and on street 240. Will use them on a 3.0 since I have them, probably a bit small for 3.0, but should work fine for street racer.

Phred

Sweet. Did you coat them or just use his normal finish?Do you have to do separate exhaust or can you go to one?

Hi,

I use a Clifford Research (Clfford Performance) header with a stock L24, stock L28, and a L28 with a E31 & N42 head, and it has lasted well over 20 years. It was sold through Nissan orginally with their dual exhaust (in the early 70's). I beleive the header is still available, but the dual exhaust is long gone. It even had a option for smog fittings. Fits greaat, stock shield fits, however, you need to use a Nissan thick gasket. There motto: 6=8

Not sure how to contact these guys, but they make/made a ton of stuff for I6 for Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, etc..... They were located in Corona, CA. There web page was/or still is: cliffordperformance.net

Great product, if they still made that orginal dual exhaust that they produce for Nissan Motorsport, I would buy it in a minute. I had it on my Z in the 70's, the write up was " it would wake up the nearly dead"........:classic:

Hi,

I use a Clifford Research (Clfford Performance) header with a stock L24, stock L28, and a L28 with a E31 & N42 head, and it has lasted well over 20 years. It was sold through Nissan orginally with their dual exhaust (in the early 70's). I beleive the header is still available, but the dual exhaust is long gone. It even had a option for smog fittings. Fits greaat, stock shield fits, however, you need to use a Nissan thick gasket. There motto: 6=8

Not sure how to contact these guys, but they make/made a ton of stuff for I6 for Jeeps, Fords, Chevy, etc..... They were located in Corona, CA. There web page was/or still is: cliffordperformance.net

Great product, if they still made that orginal dual exhaust that they produce for Nissan Motorsport, I would buy it in a minute. I had it on my Z in the 70's, the write up was " it would wake up the nearly dead"........:classic:

Don't seem to show the Z products anymore......:cry: