IGNORED

Triple SU's

Zedrally

I saw a Z with a triple SU set up in the old Z car magazine. Looked pretty good, except for the fact the manifold had to be fabricted form scratch, luckily the guy that did it had a father who owned a shop that was capable of melting down scrap aluminum and cast him a new one. The car was up for sale on Ebay not long ago, but don't know if it sold or not. it really was a sweet car. If I remember right he had used a 240 crank in a 280 block for a really short stroke, high revving engine. I'll look for the mag when I get home and try to post a little more info.

• 1 month later...

Seeing triple SUs on a Z would be kind of cool. However, I'm not sure you'd ever get a 2.4L motor to need so much air that the extra carb would help much - I guess when you were turning 8000 RPMs you could have all three carbs half open?

Probably not as noticable on a 240, however once you move to a 280 I would suspect that there would have to be a difference.

Reading between the lines of your reply, I'm getting the feeling that your of the opinion that triple carbs on a 240 would be a waste of time and money?

I guess it opens up a can of worms, is there anyone out there that did just that, without altering any other aspect of the engine and can comment on the performance aspect?

I have been running the tripple Webers, with the only other mod being headers. I can assure you that there is a performance improvement.. Though I can not say how much.. The biggest thing I see is much is the engine is a much more responsive throttle... And of course they sound great.

Why would you want to? If the answer is because you can.... then great...go empty your wallet.

Triple side drafts are a proven mod and most likely a cheaper option.

The standard SU will flow pretty well with different jets even with a standard L28. But if you have a wild L28 then get the bored by Rebello. Not sure how much they charge but might be worth a email query to them though.

Stick with the obvious.

Just my 2cents......:classic:

My opinion on the triple carbs is as follows:

A 2.4 litre engine is cable of processing 296.6 CFM of air at 7,000 RPM. A stock Hitachi SU will flow at 150 CFM, and since there are 2 of them, that's 300 CFM. For a motor that can not turn more than 7K RPM. what good will the 3rd carb do? (Unless you have a more direct air path to the cylinder, maybe.)

If the engine turned 8,000 RPM, the engine can process 339 CFM of air - in that case more carburation is needed, and Triple SUs would be a cool set up.

So my opinion is that unless you're making major engine changes, a triple carb set up is overkill.