IGNORED

Stock- Which is the quickest?

ArnieTX

240Z

or

280z.

and

for folks who have owned both 240s and 280s, which has been your favorite and why?

I've only had 280z-s. But am really intrigued by the raw 240z nature and it's loyal following. Soon I will have another Z, haven't made up my mind on whether to go with the 280 I know or tread the 240 waters.

Please help me make up my mind.

Thanks

Joe

Get yourself a 240.....you will love it,

I'm pretty sure the 240 is quicker, it's also lighter, but the experts on this site can let you know for sure.

Good luck in your search.

RM

FYI:

Max horsepower 240z....@rpm: 151 @5600

280z....@rpm: 149 @5600

Every day I learn something new about the 240Z I'm restoring. The single most appealing thing to me is the shear simplicity of it all. Not much in the way of Bells & Whistles. But it captures everything that defines a true sports car. Easy to learn about (but you never stop learning) and easy to work on. Guess you don't stop doing that either! They just grow on you. I love them all, but just happen to have a 240Z. I am one of the members here that had the pleasure of driving one in 1970. I was smitten from day one. I didn't buy one back then, but my friend did. He made a regular habit of trading off his Z, so he could ride my bike. I got the better end of that arrangement. I guess it just takes me back to precious memories.

Get yourself a 240.....you will love it,

I'm pretty sure the 240 is quicker, it's also lighter, but the experts on this site can let you know for sure.

Good luck in your search.

RM

FYI:

Max horsepower 240z....@rpm: 151 @5600

280z....@rpm: 149 @5600

i believe the 77 280 made 170bhp and 177 ft lbs.

my self having had almost 100 z's of every year, love the 240 the best, only because it was the first and the smaller bumpers and cleaner taillamps.

but i do like the 280 interior better. and fuel injection is far better than any carb setup.

i may love the z32tt just as much as a 240 though. there just so much fun.

tony

SNIP.. fuel injection is far better than any carb setup.

tony

I don't believe I buy that one.

Being a 240 guy for many years just never could come to like all the extra stuff in the 280 and on. Nice cars just not what I think of when we are talking sports cars.

I don't believe I buy that one.

Being a 240 guy for many years just never could come to like all the extra stuff in the 280 and on. Nice cars just not what I think of when we are talking sports cars.

i am not saying a stock set up.

but i will say the 280 efi was very good for 75. if you understand how it works and how to diagnose whats wrong with it when it breaks, its way better than some 100 year old technology. basicaly a carb is nothing more than a gas can with ahole in it on top of a manifold. poke the right size hole in it and it will run.

now dont get me wrong, i have had a very nice 45mm triple sk carb set up on a 280, and it was pimp. nothing sounds like that did.. but put some individual throttle bodies on the same motor with efi and you will make more power.

look at the cars today.

more power comes from a computer giving each cylinder exactly the right amount of fuel. no carb could do that(although gm and ford tried).

most people just dont understand how efi works and why it needs so many parts to make it work.

o and to answer the original question, both the 240 and 280 stock would be fairly close in a 1/4 mile race.

most of mine were never stock or at least for very long. besides, stock sucks.