IGNORED

Installing rear diff mount

HI,

I just got my solid diff mount. I was wondering if I can install it by just pulling down the front diff cross member. I did not want to pull it down and not be able to reinstall it cause the springs forced the lower A arms down. I do have it on jack stands. I figured this would be the easiest way to install it with out wrestling the whole diff out.

Thanks

Rob

Rob,

Have you read any of the many posts on solid diff mounts? If not, I recommend that you do so. Reason......if you install only a solid mount at the front of the diff and retain pliable bushings on the mustache bar, you are going to have a failure over time. You need to use either solid mounts or pliable mount (front mount/mustache bar bushings) but, don't use a combination of the two. Hope this provides some insight!

Tom

Thank you for the replies.

I have read many posts about it and was going to gamble it would not break my cross member. This car is not a daily driver.

I pulled the diff out and will look for solid mounts for the mustache bar. The new springs and struts have been sitting in a box since xmas. Might as well change them too. One day the Z will be done :)

Thanks

Rob

Rob, I too bought a solid mount (it was actually cheaper than the OE rubber replacement), but after reading far too many threads about frame rail damage, I opted to install the OE mount.