IGNORED

Which head is best..

Akir-ra

Which head has worked the best for you..?  

211 members have voted

1. 1. Which head has worked the best for you..?

• E31
    • N42
    • P79
    • P90
    • E88

Hi,

sorry i still dont get it. too deep for me. the way i see it is we cut the head on the mating surface with the block, so to me the only thing affected is the thickness of the head. we did not touch the block nor the piston travel, nor the cam rotation (it still rotates at 360 degrees at the cam tunnel, so basically nothing was altered but the bowl on the head. sorry i am no mechanic i am just talking logically.

thanks,

hf

The only reason I can see for using cam tower shims on a skimmed head is so that you can realign the standard crank and cam sprockets utilising the factory holes in the sprocket. Skimming will only minimally affect the tension in the chain tensioner. Cam tower shims will alter the camshaft geometry ie, the angle of the rockers. The proper answer is to time the cam accurately using a multi-hole sprocket.

• 1 month later...

Hey Guys,

Very intesesting discussions on the various head and block combinations. However, it is a bit confusing with all the variations...

Can someone come up with a chart that shows the different head and block combinations as the came OEM....And include the year, engine type (L24, 26) etc, which models they came on, and what were some of the characteristics of each, like valve size and etc......

I know that is a lot to ask for but that would be a huge help in understanding all this...

Thanks

MAX

I replaced the E88 head on my 73 L24 engine with the E31 head. The engine guy replaced the valves with the larger ones from the L28 engine. Well, this caused another problem which I didn't find out about until it was too late.

After running the engine for a while I noticed this loud clicking noise coming from the upper part of the engine. Upon tearing down the engine I found that the larger valves (both intake and exhaust) were contacting the insides of the cylinder walls. Later on I found out that the cylinder walls should have had some relief cut into them at the top to accommodate the bigger valves.....I subesquently was told that the L26 and L28 blocks aleady had such relief already cut into the top of the cylinders..

I was just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and can verify if the L26 and L28 blocks do indeed have some relief at the top of the cylinders for the bigger valves.

Thanks

• 6 years later...