IGNORED

Rearview Mirror Restoratiom

hls30.com

I would try warm water first, and then move on to more powerful solvents-don't forget, if you use something that messes with the silvering, You might call Jerry for his expertise as well! He has probably been there and done that!

Will

Bob,

I've refurbished a few sets where the actual mirrors were in good condition and didn't need replacing. If yours are like that, you really don't need to remove them for the refurbishing process.

However, I have several more sets where the mirrors are toast and I will need to replace them. Since they are a set, I plan to experiment with one side to see what works best and then use that method to safely remove the other side. I'll then take that piece to the glass company to have duplicates made.

I would try warm water first, and then move on to more powerful solvents-don't forget, if you use something that messes with the silvering, You might call Jerry for his expertise as well! He has probably been there and done that!

Will

Good thought Will, except he suggested I contact you.....

The sideview mirror glass is in good condition, but the silvering is showing it's age. I might have to do what Moonpup suggested--practice on one, and use that info to remove the other in one piece, take that to a glass shop to have 2 new mirrors made.

• 4 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...