IGNORED

Junkyard & "Out to Pasture" Zs

lonetreesteve

Eric,

I bought a pretty nice 5-speed walnut shift knob from Banzai Motorworks for my '71 and it was only $15.00 plus shipping. It's actually a lot nicer than it looks in the picture on the web site. You can also get a 240Z-style 5-speed shifter knob that looks just like the original 4-speed knobs (see pic below)I believe were stock on the old Fairlady Zs at Datsun-parts.com for $92.00 plus shipping (see pic below). Here are the links:

http://www.zzxdatsun.com/

http://new-datsun-parts.com/datsun-240Z-parts-interior1.html

post-6600-14150799051868_thumb.jpg

Eric,

You can also get a 240Z-style 5-speed shifter knob that looks just like the original 4-speed knobs (see pic below)I believe were stock on the old Fairlady Zs at Datsun-parts.com for $92.00 plus shipping (see pic below).

Five speeds were also available in other places like the UK and Australia, so they also got the stock looking 5 speed knob for the 240Z. I made one of my own by gluing a 5 speed disc that Alan T sent me on to an old 4 speed knob.

Here's a 1971 (built 10/70 if I remember right) I found in Quincy, Washington when I was on my way back from Yakima a couple years back. I pulled what I could -- gas tank,battery box area, driver's side door, gas door, filler tube, etc. but it got pretty late and the guy who ran the place was giving me that "Don't you know it's beer-thirty" look. I wanted to go back to pick up the uncracked windshield (he quoted me $10) and some other parts, but haven't had the chance -- it's about a 3 1/2 hr. drive. Probably gone now. If I had the room to store it and the time I would have had the JY owner cut the rear quarters out for me to save -- they needed work, but you never know might come in handy.

post-5416-1415079905228_thumb.jpg

post-5416-14150799052409_thumb.jpg

post-5416-14150799052639_thumb.jpg

post-5416-14150799052757_thumb.jpg

post-5416-14150799052871_thumb.jpg

post-5416-14150799052987_thumb.jpg

post-5416-14150799053097_thumb.jpg

Thanks Steve for the link to Banzai Motorworks I don't have that one on my home puter. Wow 92.00 for a NOS shifter knob.

Go240Zags. You brought up something I didn't think about. As in if I have the room I should get some spare panels and stuff that rust away. I can see it now I'll have my own Z junk yard in a short time.

Eric

• 1 year later...

I remember that place being mentioned in a different thread some time ago. Don't recall if it was a Craigslist thing or epay.

Most certainly a Z car purgatory. What a shame, what a waste (well, many shames and wastes).

uggh, why do all you people post your pics as attatchments and make me log in to see them :P

Oh well, now that I am, I'll just link to this thread I made a long arse time ago. In retrospect now that I'm being all gay for format, I probably could have sized them to stretch the screen less, but hey, who wants to miss a few more millimeters of that goodness.

Z car hell.

uggh, why do all you people post your pics as attatchments and make me log in to see them :P
Because as attachments, they are hosted on the CZCC server, and are not dependent on any outside server to see. If Photobucket gets sold or goes out of business, all the threads with pictures hosted there will be worthless. But pictures loaded as attachments will still be here.

You could do what I do - login and click the "Remember me" box. Never login again after that.