BD240Z

Dash Repair Process/Pictures

Wow Bruce! I'm not sure how i missed this thread the first time around. That is some impressive work. Nice job. At the moment, I have a nearly perfect un-cracked dash, but if mine does crack in the future, the plan is to have it covered in leather or a UV resistant faux leather. In any event, I look forward to hearing how yours holds up through the hell of high summer in AZ.

Hi Jack in regional Oz.

Another possibility is Winner Products in Adelaide.

http://www.winnerproducts.com.au/index.htm

We used Serge to do my sons' 1973 240Z dash some years ago.

He did a brilliant job, it is still ace looking.

At the time he had a completed 240Z dash hanging up on display but Ben opted to have his own re-skinned.

Can't hurt to give him [serge] a call.

Excellent job!! Your dash looks great in the photos. Thanks for sharing with the club.

You can get a dash redone for approx $400. New dashes, unfortunately, are around $1,500.

Mike,

I have never heard that we can get a dash done that cheap, where?

Fred

This has given me some encouragement to remove the dashcap and attempt a repair on my recently acquired 72Z. I don't know what I will find when I remove it... If there is one thing I hate is that hairpiece cap!

Thanks for the idea!

Bruce,

Great job, I'm impressed. I have a spare dash and I think I'll give your method a try.

Fabulous job on your dash..

I'm one of the lucky ones as my dash hasn't cracked so far...but it has faded somewhat and I would like to restore the blackness.

Would that SEM Trim black be the thing to use.? Does it come only in spray.

I would like to apply it with the dash still in the car?

Would that coating make the dash less likely to crack in the future?

Hey Bruce - What part of the Valley are you in? I'd love to meet up and have you have a look at my 72 project, or just grab lunch and talk shop.

Nissanman

I missed your post first time round. Thanks for your feedback and leads. I will follow up on them when I can.

Regards, Jack

Fabulous job on your dash..

I'm one of the lucky ones as my dash hasn't cracked so far...but it has faded somewhat and I would like to restore the blackness.

Would that SEM Trim black be the thing to use.? Does it come only in spray.

I would like to apply it with the dash still in the car?

Would that coating make the dash less likely to crack in the future?

Randy,

To my knowledge, the SEM Trim Black comes only in a spray can. I don't know what product(s) help prevent cracking, hopefully someone else here does know and will pipe in. Since yours hasn't cracked, I'd be concerned with coating it with the wrong type of product.

There's a company thats makes car care products called Forever Black. www.foreverblack.com

I use their Bumper Trim and Tire Gel on all my cars. They don't attract dirt or have silicone. It comes in bottles and can be applied with a rag. You might want to call them and get their feedback. Good luck with your car.

Bruce

as a follow on: -

After having his dash re-done, my son asked the trimmer what product to use to keep it in A1 condition.

Answer: - NONE. Just wipe it over with a damp cloth to remove to dust, THAT IS ALL FOLKS!

So he has done exactly that with no problems.

Well Bruce... I don't know how I missed this one the first time around but, Dude! That looks awesome!!! I'm not really interested in a cap myself, so this looks like the perfect alternative until I decide to have the dash redone. Please keep us informed on this Summers evil doings. Thanks.

Nate

Your dash looked almost identical to mine. Although my cracks might be a bit bigger. I think I'll have to try this. Thanks for the Idea.

BRA....VO

I am using a cap right now, and I am happy with that, as my toy is for track day fun. I have a question, I plan to cut one or maybe two holes in the dash under the cap, to have esay access to the tach, speedo and gauges. Is there anything wired on those parts of the dash that would prevent me of using my DREMEL to cut in the meat with the dash in the car?????

Lazy Boomer

Hi guys, new to this forum i did a similar dash resto like Bruce

For guys from Australia check these forums for details on localy available materials:

http://www.viczcar.com/forum/index.php?topic=1618.0

http://www.thezgarage.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=980

Pitty that i havent seen this post prior doing mine. could have saved bit more time on experimentation. but like Bruce i was amazed how well it came out.

though my texture is more similar to modern car like suade leather finish

sure beats paying $500+ for a resto.

Great job! I would never have thought of all that, and for the money, that's a good price. I have to fix cracks in my dash that the previous owner put padded upholstery over, which makes no sense, but I'd like do to do a fix like that like that from under. Thanks for the thread, very helpful.

Just wanted to post my results repairing a spare dash I had around using the method described here. I am quite pleased with the results. Hopefully I'll get around to getting it in a car soon and see how it holds up in the Gulf Coast heat.

-Tony

post-14801-14150801592089_thumb.jpg

post-14801-14150801592655_thumb.jpg

post-14801-14150801593055_thumb.jpg

Bruce, awsome work, I have four cracked dashes and can't wait to try it on one of them.

You might also consider that it is a paint for HARD surfaces and it doesn't mention Vinyl. Many of us have discovered that the SEM brand does quite well without additional topcoating.

2¢

E