IGNORED

Happy Halloween Pic

Red-Eye

Orright, time to educate a furriner:laugh: I understand it's about "All Hallow's eve" when the spirit world is closest to the living, but the kids and the lollies bit...are they supposed to be the "spirits" after soul cake? or is it just"what you do!" on Oct 31.

I know I can get a GOOGLE defintion but most of you blokes living amongst it make sense with less words...(gimme a break I'm on nightshift:stupid:)

Jim.

(Hey, did you see the guy who, as part of the celebrations set up a mock "jet crash" with real busted jet pieces in and over..all around his house!?!)

Orright, time to educate a furriner:laugh: I understand it's about "All Hallow's eve" when the spirit world is closest to the living, but the kids and the lollies bit...are they supposed to be the "spirits" after soul cake? or is it just"what you do!" on Oct 31.

I know I can get a GOOGLE defintion but most of you blokes living amongst it make sense with less words...(gimme a break I'm on nightshift:stupid:)

Jim.

(Hey, did you see the guy who, as part of the celebrations set up a mock "jet crash" with real busted jet pieces in and over..all around his house!?!)

Actually, you are probably better informed than the majority of folks who "practice" Halloween.

For most people it's an opportunity to put on a costume, act crazy and in a manner that can be excused with..."It's for Halloween!" If you think of Carnaval in Brazil, you'll get a basic idea of what people get away with.

Now, as far as the kids, the basic premise (as I understand it, and everyone has their understanding) is that it is All Hallow's Eve when you elaborate on the theme of the spirit world being so close to the natural world that they tend to overlap, hence the ghosts, witches, half-dead..etc etc.

The kids used to get dressed in spooky costumes, until the generic theme of bed sheet with a couple of holes for a ghost got to be too cliché, so they started expanding. In the 60's I recall seeing Superman Capes, Batman masks, Amazing Woman, and GI Joe and Barbie etc start to become popular and before long the costumes weren't so "scary". I recall doing a hobo and my sister doing a fairy princess one year, so you can imagine how it had changed.

Nowdays, you'll see kids "disguised" as just about every comic book hero and cartoon figure on TV and the movies. Sometimes the costumes are very nicely done, some are realistic but oftentimes it's a store bought mask and piece of cloth, which I think denigrates the whole wearing of a costume. I still recall one of my neighbors giving extra candy to those that had gone to extra lengths to individualize their costume.

Nowdays, some of the cutest costumes are when people dress up their toddlers (yes, LITTLE kids) and the results can be not only hilarious but downright cute.

The kids basically walk up to the door, knock and announce "Trick or Treat!" when you open the door. However, with the theme devolving down it's become more of an opportunity to get free candy, and modern kids have not been exposed to the true Tricks that used to get played on us in the 60's....which sometimes was the only reason to go up to someone's house. I recall seeing the kids eagerly awaiting the next kid to be initiated to the neighbor's scarecrow that would come to life when you knocked on the door and would scare you to the street.....:eek: and then rushing off to find their friends in order to have them get scared out of their wits.

E