IGNORED

Rebuilding 240Z heater/vent system PICS

bjhines

I am building a new track car and decided to use the original heater/vent system...

I figured I would give a complete makeover...

I started by tearing everything down completely.... Then I sandblasted every nook and cranny... I used self etching primer and 4 coats of metallic black paint... I covered every nook from all angles... It WILL LAST my lifetime...

Before!!!! smelled like burning hair and sounded like a rattlesnake... It blew leaves, dirt, and bugs in your face at speed...

heaterhousingbeforeinside.jpg

Repainted inside and out...

Heaterhousingback.jpg

Heaterhousinginside.jpg

Heaterhousingoutside.jpg

blowerhousingcontrols.jpg

blowerhousinginside.jpg

Honda blower/fan drops in the 240Z snail housing...

blowerhousinghondafanmotor.jpg

blowerhousingfanclearance.jpg

completed blower unit....

blowerhousingcontrols.jpg

Blowerhousingcomplete.jpg

I am waiting on the radiator shop to rebuild my heater core...

I am chopping up my old choke cables to replace the sticking and bent up control cables...

This sucker will fly!!!

EXCELLENT!

Nice job, and excellent reference on the replacement gasket pad.

FYI, when you re-insert your heater core, wrap some closed cell foam on the sides where it comes into contact with the housing. That will not only "seal" it but will also prefent it from rattling. I found that the self-adhesive foam used for Pick-Up Camper Shells, where they contact the pick-up bed works best, plus you can also fin it in various widths and thicknesses.

Additionally it also works for the "Room" flaps ( the flap openings at the bottom of the housing, below the heater core), although your vinyl/foam idea may be better.

When you mount it into the body, use Plumber's Putty between the top opening in the housing and the Fresh Air Intake Vent. It has several features that work very well. It stays pliant for years, won't smell like caulking or silicone, and is unaffected by heat.

Good Job.

Enrique

Awsome pictures. I need to do the same so this really helps. Thanks. Where did you get the Honda blower motor? I think I have seen some for sale on ebay?

Carl

I bought one of the eBay blowers (azariara@cs.com, Patrick Restorations, although I'm not sure that's the name she listed under). It makes a huge difference and the transaction was easy, in fact I bought it outside eBay. The blower however looked like it was a used one, although functionally perfect. Not sure if that's what she'd supply if you bought on eBay. I'm sure you could save yourself $40-50 or so by going to a PickNPull.

Steve.

Great job,

I too bought a new Honda motor. I am also in the process of refreshing the heater. Will follow suit, I live a couple of blocks from an auto upholstery supply store. Will have to drop by and see what he has in the store. It is good to see in pictures what I had envisioned in my head once again thanks.

So, what's the benefit of the Honda blower and which one do I buy?

-- MIke

Check the thread starting March 23 of this year. I believe it's an '88-91 Civic, but CRX probably uses the same one. There are a bunch of other threads as well -- "Honda blower."

The benefit is the thing blows about 3X as much air and is about 1/3 as loud.

It "bolts right in." Literally it was about a 10-minute job. One advantage of the eBay blowers is they're nicely terminated with the Datsun connector that's needed. You might want to paint the 2.5" or so disc in the middle, which is a bare-metal color and a little conspicuous pointing at the passenger seat from a sea of black.