IGNORED

Brake Master Cylinder 240z

kcoke

Keith, I'm betting from the date of your car and the fact your cylinder is claimed to be for the later 240Zs, you will need to swap the lines when you connect it. But you could try to verify that. If the reservoirs are the same size check to see if there are any indications on the cylinder itself which port is for the front and which is for the rear. Then find the end of the block which has two out-going lines (one to each front brake). Connect that side to the port on your master cylinder marked as 'F' (if any). The half of the block that feeds the rear brakes will only have one line going to the rear, it splits into two lines at the rear of the car.

• 1 month later...

True, that is a very thorough post. But it's not very applicable to those of us who are trying to keep our cars original. There's lots of options available if we are modifying the cars, but only one correct answer for keeping them original.

FWIW, I have the ZX master on my yellow car, and even with stock brakes it works fine.

• 12 years later...

Hope this will help someone. I just got a early 71 240 z thats been setting in the garage since 1979. The break master cylinder was seized. I couldent get the pistons and springs out for the life of me.. Here is how i got them out - take out all the bleader screws get a big botttle of pine-sol and boil them for a couple hours.. then hit the bottom of the cylinder on some wood they will come out..

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum, I'm interested why you used Pine-sol, was it just what you had on hand or is it good for other things?  The fact that the MC was seized means after you get it cleaned up it probably won't work for you anyway,  they use to sell a rebuild kit but the new MC are still pretty inexpensive so it's still easier and safer to grab a new one. Same goes for the wheel cylinders, the clutch MC and slave cylinder.