IGNORED

competition hood interest?

mikemeade

I'll admit to not being around here much, but I'm unlikely to send my hood out to someone with a lousy reputation. I was PM'd by Classic Datsun Motorsports. Anyone else feel like giving me a recommendation for their quality? Send a PM if you aren't comfortable with anything. i don't want to badmouth anyone I know nothing about, but if I am making a leap in sending out parts, I want to make sure that I can trust I will get them back.

I was PM'd by Classic Datsun Motorsports. Anyone else feel like giving me a recommendation for their quality?

I don't think you can do any better than working with Les at CDM. He is well known and highly regarded in the Datsun community. CDM was selected by Nissan as one of the restoration shops for the "Vintage Z" program in the mid 90's. He has the original BRE molds for their spooks and spoilers. I have one of their spooks and it is very high quality and an exact duplicate of the BRE original (I have one to compare it to).

-Mike

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I just talked to Les at Classic Datsun Motorsports, and he says that the mold has been made, and copies are ready to be produced. Hopefully I will have my original back in a few days. Anyone who is interested in the hood vent should contact Les.

Mike

• 1 year later...

Does anyone know if anything came of this? I've e-mailed CDM, but in the mean time, I thought I'd ask about it here. My engine bay gets pretty bloody hot with the turbo, and I have terrible hot start issues, even with fuel injection. This vent would go a long way to getting some of that heat out, without letting a lot of rain water in, and I do like the look of it.

Nigel

'73 240ZT

I just saw one of those on a black primer 240Z here in Cali. It looks pretty good on a Z. Definately had me guessing. I didn't know it was a comp part. It would really help air flow under the hood though.

As soon as the good carbon fiber becomes available again I plan on making several small parts and was thinking of finding someone with a large autoclave about building hoods and replacment fenders... There are several places in town where I live.

CARBON FIBRE is the way to go in my opinion. Looks much better than fibreglass even if you don't paint it and will never rust. So I would be interested in any CF parts. Those inspection covers would be nice in CF I always thought. Maybe the windshield wiper cover etc. Keep us informed. As for the hood vent I think I will pass, but then again I'm not much for spoilers and such either.

I'd eventually be interested in a replacement for my "original" hood vent. There are numerous stress cracks and the paint is worse than just about anywhere else on the car. My engine runs on the warm side. I'd hate to see what it would be like in the hot Georgia summer without this vent.