IGNORED

competition hood interest?

mikemeade

Recently I acquired a 240Z with the competition hood. I don't really know how rare the competition hood scoop is, and I don't know if anyone else besides me even likes it. I have been asked by one person if I could make a copy of it.

Since I did the math the other day and figured out that it will take about $1000 to get my car back on the road at the minimum, I thought that I would like to see how many people would be interested in a copy of the hood.

CompHVen.jpg

If I can get a professional fiberglass outfit to make copies for me, would there be much interest?

Oh, and if this isn't the right place for this kind of post, please let me know and I will delete it or move it if I can.

Thanks,

Mike

Okay, I'll clarify. I am only really interested in making the "hood vent" I have already taken it off, and put it back on my car, so I know that it isn't bonded together. My car doesn't seem to have the gaskets shown in this picture, but I imagine that new gaskets could be cut from thin rubber fairly easily.

My hood really seems to have been cut in a shop somewhere. The cuts aren't perfect, but you would never know becuase the vent hides the hole pretty well.

The thing that I found interesting is that hold the vents on the car aren't metric! I'm assuming that this must have been a US only item.

There may be some people interested in it for it's historical value, however I don't believe you will find many interested in buying them for use on their vehicles.

(1) They are ugly,

(2) you must cut a hole in your hood,

(3) They were a patch fix(bandaid) for a problem that Datsun/Nissan was desperately trying to fix.

Note that this is based one one person's opinion and the the community as a whole. I'll let the opthers speak for themselves.

If you're looking to replace your hood, you might consider if someone would trade you an uncut one for the one you have.

But as Enigma pointed out, the hood is definitely a stop-gap repair to a problem that ensued from the extra smog equipment and the over-heating vapor lock problem. Once you remove all that other stuff, it may be that the hood becomes superfluous and you want to change it. There are people that thought it a ghastly repair and others that didn't mind it.

Someone with a slightly / highly modified engine might be interested in using that for the extra room above the engine itself. As such, I have one car that would be a candidate for that swap.

E

Actually, I kinda like the hood. I originally thought that I would seek to replace it, but it has grown on me. I also kinda like the fact that it makes the car different, but is done so from the dealer. I will probably look into what copies cost next week, just because I have never had to work with fiberglass before. I don't have to make money, but I figured that if I did, it couldn't hurt.

There is a big company here in Nebraska called Shell Valley. They make several different car bodies all of which are fiberglass, and I have heard that they do an amazing job. They might be able to make them for you and make them very HIGH Quality at that! I don't know if thats to far to ship but its a thought. Here is some of the info you can look at.

http://www.shellvalley.com/default.asp

Shell Valley Companies

23119 287th Street, Platte Center, NE 68653

Voice: (402) 246-2355 - Toll Free: (888) 246-0900 - Fax: (402) 246-3710

E-Mail: svm@megavision.com

Orders Only Please: 1-800-356-9198