IGNORED

V8 Sounding Z

24OZ

Is it possible to get the Z to sound like a V8? This will be my next project, as to when...... we'll see... i may have grown one of these by the time i get round to it :beard:

I've got a stock L28 in my 240Z and would like it to sound like a monster V8? Well ok a mini V8 then ROFL

I guess its all in the exhaust you use and the header, anyone got any ideas on a good header/exhaust setup which would get me the V8 sound, or as close as possible. It cant be excessively loud as it may not be legal :tapemouth:

BTW - My L28 is stock so would headers actually reduce power on my car? Just something I read somewhere.

Thanks.

Sorry, only thing to make it sound like a V-8 would be to put a V-8 in it.

Firing order, number of cylinders, and the exhaust pulses of a V-8 only happen in a V-8.

A lower, deeper, tone can be had by large diameter pipe, and a turbo muffler. Not the "tinny" or high pitched wail like you would get from small diameter pipe(or pipes) and a glass pack or straight thru muffler.

Headers will help more than hurt. Once on, checking the mixture is always a good idea as it may lean out the cylinders since they(the header) are scavenging the exhaust better.

I don't want to blow my own horn but many people ask me if i've dropped a V8 in my 240. Mostly because of the exhaust and headers i have. Also i think that my cam is not original because at idle the car has a rough throaty pulse that just doesn't sound stock. Saying that though the people that do ask me about my engine don't know squat about cars, you just can't beat the sweet sound of a V8, 2Many is right.

Same here, I have a Header, 2 1/4, 'test pipe', and 2 1/4 straight-thru Bosal and I get the "wow, do you have a V-8 in that thing" all the time. It has a really great low rumble. To me it doesn't sound anything like a cammed V-8, but it does roll a bit. Now at 4000 there is absolutely no mistaking: IT IS NOT A V-8!!!! To me, the whine of a straight-6 at high r's is the sweetest sound in autodom. God, what music!

Just my preference. BTW, the straight-6 doesn't have to be a Datsun, either.

steve77

i just put on the MSA turbo exhaust tip for like 60 bucks with the stock header, pre-muffler, and stock sized pipe and its sounds awesome. At idle its got that deep sputtering sound of a V8 but like 2manyZs said...its the V8 that makes the sound...not so much the exhaust. You can make your Z SOUND like a V8 at idle...but also like Zvoiture said...the screaming straight 6 is just awesome and between 3000-4000 rpm is when everyone turns and looks! Ill see if i can get the sound into a .wav file and email it to ya.

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Grantman - would be great to hear this when you have a chance :D.

Someone also mentioned MSA's Twice Pipes as being quite intimidating. Anyone else think so?

Yes, the glass tends to not last very long in the twice pipes. When they burn out, it is loud. Too loud for me, I had to take mine off since the neighbors called the cops on me, plus got pulled over two or three times, and after a while I couldn't stand the noise. Funny, how these Harley riders can run a straight pipe and no one seems to care. Let a car have a burned out set of glass packs on it and you would think even though it is perfectly legal, you ought to be able to run them. NOT!

Sounds great if you get on it, but after a while it is very tiresome. BTW, the twice pipes use a 1 3/4 inch or so diameter pipe, so the small diameter of the pipes adds to the "scream" of the L in "anger".

I have been told that the glass in the twice pipes tends to burn out, is this true.

Now thats the deal with glass pack style muff. You go and buy one or two get them installed. Then you burn them in. The sound of them will get louder and the sound (note) will change over the miles/time. The burn-in time will very on how its driven. The last set of glass packs I got went on A 74 corvette with A 383 stroker.

Driven hard they took about A week @ around 30 miles A day before the true sound came in.

Yes over time they will burn out but thats A long time.

p.s. they smell like crap for the first day or so but gose away.

Another choice would be A steel pack muff. just like A glass pack but with A woven steel rather then fiberglass inside. There A cool sound with the inline six.

heres A pic of my 74 vette I had the glasspacks on.

corvette.bmp

If I do go for the 6 to 1 header and twice pipes am i actually gonna lose power?:sleepy: I havent moded my engine at all, it is a stock L28 with FI.

I've heard that the header is one of the first things to do when you are climbing the upgrade ladder but if I immediately go for twice pipes have i jumped a few runs??:bunny:

Should I wait until i have upgraded the engine a little? This is all stemming from something I read which said that Twice pipes and Headers can actually reduce power on a stock motor. How true is this?? And why?? :stupid: Thanks!!!!! :classic: