IGNORED

My Skyline finally arrived......

HS30-H

Okay, so how many sale offers did you get? Even with my battered HLS30 on the trailer, I got five overs over a 300km trip when I trailered it home, and another two during my road to the workshop. It's rare to hear that somebody actually got his/her hands on a genuine C10 GT-R, but the fact that somebody GAVE it to you is simply unbeleivable abd it leaves me speechless... Dr Shimizu must really be a great man.

Anyway, congratulations on owning such a special car. Cheers from London, I'll be staying in the UK for a week or so.

how about the timeattack www.timeattack.co.uk obviously very similar to the Japanese one, a non contact flying lap, round silverstone, no stringent rules for modification, and they are crying out for cars like these, they are even twisting my arm to enter..

Hi Phil,

To be honest, that kind of event is a long way away from the kind of thing I am interested in being part of. Don't want to sound too snobby, but the way that 'timeattack' is promoted in the UK - and the other events that it shares the day with - are not my cup of tea at all. There are some well-prepped and fast cars involved of course ( and I wouldn't stand a chance! ) but overall I think that kind of event is promoted primarily as a money-spinner for the organisers, and they are trying to get as many spectators through the gate in any way that they can. I'm more interested in the kind of event that can claim to be about ".....the right crowd, and no crowding.". The kind of close-knit clubby event where you can leave your tool box and spare wheels unattended, and they will still be there when you get back..........

I think I'll stick with attendance-capped GRRC-member events, and 'friendly' track days for older cars like those that I have taken the ZG to - like the Austin Healey Owners Club days - for now.

Perhaps you could start it up and send us an audio clip.... or a small video.

Carl, thanks very much for the kind words. Much appreciated.

I don't actually own a digital video camera, so I shall have to find out about either renting or borrowing one in the near future. No chance of me buying one at the moment, as I'm feeling quite poor this month to say the least. I'd be very happy to put up a video / sound clip - so I'll look into it.

So Alan are you looking at fitting those wide 14x11? watanabes you have to this for the period look?

Hi Mike,

I might use the 14 inchers as spares/wets, as there is a small supply of 235/35-14 Dunlop SP2000s in Japan. They'd look fairly horrible though; 35 profile is all wrong for the period style theme. However, I have a set of 10 and 9 inch wide 15 inch 'R' type Watanabes on their way over from Japan at the moment, and I'm planning on using some 'Post Historic' Dunlop CR65 or CR82 race tyres on them. These would give the more period-looking overall diameter that I am looking for. They are pretty expensive though, and they are not road legal in the UK - so if I drove to an event I'd have to carry them with me. That's one of the reasons I'm looking at buying a suitable tow car as our everyday family car, and getting shot of the Alfa. That way I could tow the trailer with the Skyline on it, and not worry too much about permanently road-legalising it.

Alan here is question for you (not sure if it has been asked before so please excuse me if it has) I was told (again wanting to get the correct information) that the P in these models chassis code was not only to indicate the fitment of the S20 engine but also the connection between this engine and the Price GR8 which it was based on. So the P was homage to the Price engine team.

I believe that is at least partly correct, but do remember that the 'P' prefix wasn't used for the S20 engine alone. It was also used for some of the other Prince-derived engines - for example in the 'PC10' and 'KPC10' Skylines, with G18 four-bangers. However, there were models that used the Prince-derived G15 and G16 engines but did not have the 'P' prefix in their model codes - so I don't think it was a hard and fast rule............

Even tarmac navigational events would be great fun in a car like that.

Only snag I can see is you would need to source and mount a second seat plus install some decent headlights.

Second seat and harness is no problem ( I already have some ) and I have the headlamp mounts, bowls and retainer rings ( they came in a box with the car ). I just need to find some suitable quad headlamps for it ( Lucas? No -maybe not :eek: ). All the wiring and connectors are in place. Its going to look strange with lights though....... and I don't have the outer trim surrounds.

BTW does this set back the 432R replica project?

The Skyline hasn't really set it back, and should not interfere with the build all that much. I now have just about everything I need to finish the car except time. Maybe time will be compromised because of the Skyline's arrival, but the real truth is that our house move back in May stopped the 432R replica project pretty much dead in its tracks. Moving was a big upheaval, and we are only now starting to truly feel 'at home' here.

The plus side of moving is that my rented garages are now only 2 miles away from home, and the roads are not crowded at all ( I'm coming from the opposite direction ) - so it takes no time to get there. This will be much better in the long run.

I've been installing the acrylic windows ( tailgate, rear quarters and doors ) after having them formed over the original glass to get the correct compound curves. Tailgate glass was a bitch to install, but is now in and looks great ( you'd never know it wasn't glass ). I now have all the engine parts, and the block has been bored to suit the high comp pistons. S20 engine assembly for the 432R replica will start very soon, and can be done in the evenings when all is quiet. I'll make that my Autumn season task.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Alan,

I'd like to congratulate you on a spectacular addition. Any classic car of that caliber is very rare, but to have a Hakosuka in that condition is the stuff of dreams. I am sure I speak for most of us here when I say I am quite envious.

Brian,

Many thanks for the kind words.

I don't think this car can be compared with yours on a like-for-like basis. I think your appears to be much more complete and in better overall condition. Mine looks nice in the photos, but make no mistake - it was built as a track-day and club race car, so the mechanicals are spot-on, the 'shell is strong and rot-free, but the overall finish of everything else is not show-car perfect. To be honest, that is something of a relief for me - as I'd be mortified to scratch or stone chip a show-quality car. Yours looks like it is a higher class detail and trim wise, not to mention the very nice work of your drivetrain installation.

I have tallied the money I have spent on the build of my car and at times wondered if I should have just spent it on a true GT-R and left it all stock. The thought had already crossed my mind, and seeing your car drives it home even more. I am very sure you will find attention everywhere you take it. I will be interested to see if the historic clubs there in the U.K. will be receptive and appreciative of just how unique it is. Again, well done.

I can relate to that. If I added up all the money I have spent so far on my 432R replica project, I probably could have imported a relatively clean 432 and turned it into an 'R' clone. But then that would have been neither fish nor fowl, and I'd just feel guilty about having changed the 432 into something that it wasn't. And I would not have had the 'fun' and steep learning curve of building the replica - which is the main part of the task for me. The satisfaction gained in researching the parts needed ( getting it wrong and having to re-do it too! ), gathering the parts and then putting it all together is something you can't get from just buying a car ( or being given one......... ). I think you can relate to that.

I've already experienced differing reactions from enthusiasts and car people here in the UK through my ownership of the ZG. As it is the only genuine factory-built ZG in Europe, not a lot of people actually know what it is. I think I can expect a similar situation with the Skyline, but I have to say that the ZG is pretty and looks somewhat exotic - whereas the Skyline still looks like a superannuated family car that has a fancy engine. I expect less admiration for the Skyline than the ZG overall, but those that know about Skyline history will surely appreciate what the Skyline represents. At least I hope that's what I will experience. I think there is less make-snobbery around these days than there used to be, and people are generally more pragmatic. Car enthusiasts these days seem to have very catholic tastes, and will cheer-on a Fiat Cinquecento just as loudly as they would a Bizzarini Strada.

England, and the UK overall, is actually a very old-car friendly country. As old-car owners, we get cut a lot of slack over here. When you get up early in the morning on a Saturday or Sunday, you can take your old / modified / race car for a blast on some fantastic roads - and see others doing the same. You'll even get given some respect and words of encouragement for doing it, and can meet up with others who have similar interests. I'm determined to enjoy that while we still can........

Alan, I was just flicking through an old issue of Enjoy Retro Car and found a bunch of pictures of your new purchase. I'll scan them in or bring it down to you some time (any excuse to perv over your car )..

I don't think that will be the same car. It certainly hasn't appeared in any of the AutoWorks-related publications to my knowledge.

There are lots of 'No.15' blue / white Works 'replicas' in Japan, so it is almost certainly another car. What issue was it?

You're most welcome to come and take a look at it if whenever you are in London

Cheers,

Alan T.

I'm more interested in the kind of event that can claim to be about ".....the right crowd, and no crowding.". The kind of close-knit clubby event where you can leave your tool box and spare wheels unattended, and they will still be there when you get back..........

I think I'll stick with attendance-capped GRRC-member events, and 'friendly' track days for older cars like those that I have taken the ZG to - like the Austin Healey Owners Club days - for now.

Couldn't agree more and that sure isn't being 'snobby'!

For just those reasons we love navigational rallies and regularity class in larger events.

( Lucas? No -maybe not :eek: )

....... and I don't have the outer trim surrounds.

You don't like the great Prince of Darkness? Can't blame you so I'd suggest having a look at Cibie. We don't consider them as good as Hella H4's but they do look more period. Hellas have pretty flat glass and look a bit out of place even on a C110.

For driving lights (if you ever figure that you need them) try the old Lucas S700 driving lights with replacement halogen globes. That was one product that they got right and they actually look like they belong on the early 70's cars.

Surely someone has access to a set of outer trim surrounds (Miles maybe?).

I just need to find some suitable quad headlamps for it ( Lucas? No -maybe not :eek: ). All the wiring and connectors are in place. Its going to look strange with lights though....... and I don't have the outer trim surrounds.

Yes, it would look strange with lights on it, as it was not built for that. I can get you some Koitos . . . . I've got Marchals on my car, but they're hard to get.

I think I can expect a similar situation with the Skyline, but I have to say that the ZG is pretty and looks somewhat exotic - whereas the Skyline still looks like a superannuated family car that has a fancy engine. I expect less admiration for the Skyline than the ZG overall, but those that know about Skyline history will surely appreciate what the Skyline represents. At least I hope that's what I will experience.

THAT'S what I like about historic cars . . . Those who know, appreciate. Those who don't know, get educated. Yes, Ferrari, Porche, Lamborghini. Everybody knows about them. BUT Nissan? Aside from BRE Zs and 510s, not too many people know . . . .

At the risk of a dumb suggestion, how about this:

1. put the lights back in the front (just the mounts, buckets, rims and lamps)

2. either adapt the existing blue 'covers' or make new covers that clip onto the mounting bases.

3. forgot the original trim and grille

4. put small aftermarket indicator / parking lamps down in the lower front sheet metal so they are visible through one of the body openings.

You should be able to make it look very close to the current appearance when the covers are on.

btw, off-topic but...

on your ZG is there anything in the ID plate or the chassis number to positively identify it as a HS30-H?

I've always been curious about that because the HS30 cars arriving in Australia have nothing to prove they are or are not HS30-U.

As I don't have the original dealer delivery documents there is no legal proof that our HS30-U is anything but a plain base HS30!

Thankfully, our KHGC110 has an Australian Design Rules plate issued by Nissan (Aust) P/L positively identifying it as a GT.

I'm more interested in the kind of event that can claim to be about ".....the right crowd, and no crowding.". The kind of close-knit clubby event where you can leave your tool box and spare wheels unattended, and they will still be there when you get back..........

I totally understand what you are saying Alan, but the timeattack would bring the car to a greater audience (be that a good thing or bad), people who THINK they know their skylines...

Wow Alan I'm so happy for you to have such a great car, must of been such an honour for you to receive it! I don't know what I would do to be able to own such a great car.

Would be nice to someday see this great car in the flesh.

Will

• 2 weeks later...
.........I'd suggest having a look at Cibie.

Surely someone has access to a set of outer trim surrounds (Miles maybe?).

My ZG has Cibies, which were fitted by the last Japanese owner many years ago. I had thought about them for the GT-R, but when I looked into the prices I decided that they were more expensive than I'd like. I have been looking at generic eastern-European copies, which cost peanuts and should be good enough to get it road legal......

I don't think I'll fit any outer trims, as it would then look like the grille needs fitting too. I'll just stick with the bare lamps, and the Works-style FRP covers can actually fit over them ( which is useful ).

I can get you some Koitos . . . . I've got Marchals on my car, but they're hard to get.

Offer much appreciated Miles, but I think these eastern-European units will be good enough. They actually look quite good quality-wise, and are cheap. I think I'll have the covers over them most of the time anyway.

btw, off-topic but...

on your ZG is there anything in the ID plate or the chassis number to positively identify it as a HS30-H?

I've always been curious about that because the HS30 cars arriving in Australia have nothing to prove they are or are not HS30-U.

As I don't have the original dealer delivery documents there is no legal proof that our HS30-U is anything but a plain base HS30!

Thankfully, our KHGC110 has an Australian Design Rules plate issued by Nissan (Aust) P/L positively identifying it as a GT.

The best and most reliable way to identify a real factory-made ZG is by looking at the Japanese registration documents. As long as these have not been modified or tampered with, they clearly show the extra length and width of a real ZG. None of the other domestic S30-series models have the same dimensions as the ZG.

There's nothing stamped on the body to differentiate a real ZG from an ordinary 'HS30'-prefixed 240Z-L, and the same goes for the stamped aluminium tags too. However, there are numerous clues and minor detail differences that will help to confirm a real factory ZG, and when you add all of these together you can usually tell whether its a real one or a clever replica / fake.

As for the differences between an HS30-U and a domestic-model HS30, I'd have thought that ( as with the ZG / Z-L comparison ) there would be quite a few clues on the car itself that you could cross-reference and draw a conclusion from? Having said that, the domestic model Fairlady 240Z-L would have to be the closest of all the domestic models to the RHD export-market '240Z', and would therefore be the most difficult to pin down. Like a lot of these things, I suspect that the real truth lies in the details........

I've been a bit busy over the last couple of weeks what with one thing and another, but there is a least one bit of progress that is worth reporting on: My 'correct' wheels finally turned up from Japan - brought to my front door by a cursing postman ( poor guy cut his hand on the straps that secured the parcels ). At one stage I thought these had disappeared into the ether, but I'm happy to say they turned up safe and sound. They are not new, but they are in great condition.

R.S. Watanabe 8-spoke 'R'-type in Magnesium. 11j x 15 ( -38 offset ) rear, and 9.5j x 15 9 ( -19 offset ) front. Incredibly light considering the size: those 11j rears weigh just 6.3kg each.

I'm too poor to buy any tyres for them this month!

Cheers,

Alan T.

magnesiumrs1oh5.jpg

magnesiumrs2la9.jpg

magnesiumrs3ex5.jpg

magnesiumrs4tn0.jpg

magnesiumrs5rp2.jpg