IGNORED

1970 Dealer Ad

gramercyjam

That's a promotional photo of the Z I have not seen. Have a close look and tell me all the things missing from that early, early car. Fender emblems...

Thanks for posting the pic! Incidently, Datsun promotional advertising in those days was handled by Parker Advertising; John Parker a personal friend of Mr. Katayama's. I understand Mr. Parker will be at the upcoming ZCCA convention in Dallas.

I don't see an antenna either. Nor the pillar emblem 240Z. Interesting. Do you see "D's" on the hubcaps?

I like to collect the old photos as it reveals to me the extent of the "dual identity" Fairlady / 240Z and Datsun / Nissan image problem the car had in the beginning. Of course, my opinion, but built as the Nissan Fairlady Z and exported to American shores as the Datsun 240Z. Here are some interesting ones from my files:

This is the official publication photograph as we have discussed in past threads. The red Z has no emblems. The B&Ws come from the original Road & Track magazine announcement article and the first road test article. Notice the license plate of each car is the California designated dealer plate indicating the cars were owned by Nissan NA. By the time of the road test, custom wheels had been fitted but notice the missing hubcap "D's".

post-4148-14150797449487_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150797449701_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150797449996_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

I have an original of the 2 sided brochure from 1969. A bit rough on the edges, but..... The hood, fender, and pillar emblems are superimposed on the red car. No "D's" on the hub caps neither. In the pictures there is no antenna because it had no radio. Also no clock in the pictures (It does list them under the standard equipment). But I would have given those up for the 5 speed and triple solexes. 175 hp at 6800, 10.5 compression.

As for a 1970 Fairlady ad, I don't have one, but I do have an early 1971 ad I picked up in Okinawa. Shows the 3 models available: Z, Z-L, and 432 It is in Japanese. Has the round pillar emblem and the air vents on the rear hatch.

Hello,

let me join this thread,I would like to show my collection.

I have two of the 1970 press kit,both said "FOR RELEASE PM'S WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 22,1969" but they are not exactly the same.

#1 Left one has two picures and three description papers for 240Z

right one has only one picture and one description paper which is excerpt from the Road and Track Jan 1970,actually the paper has a date on top said "for immediate release Jan 19, 1970"

#2 a picture from the left one,I think this car is the same which Chris posted,the RED 240Z.This car might be used many other adds and catalogs.

#3 a picture from the left one,back side view of the 240Z

#4 papers from the left one

#5 a picture and a paper from the right one.This picture,a young man and a young lady,are not the same from the first 240Z catalog in the U.S.But the car looks the same of the Road and Track magazine's.

kats

post-3193-14150801579321_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801579524_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801579719_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801579918_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801580118_thumb.jpg

As for a 1970 Fairlady ad, I don't have one, but I do have an early 1971 ad I picked up in Okinawa. Shows the 3 models available: Z, Z-L, and 432 It is in Japanese. Has the round pillar emblem and the air vents on the rear hatch.

do you have a scanner so you can post pictures online? I'd love to see those.