IGNORED

240K coupe on ebay

vdp

Guys I went over to see the car and met Alex. I spent an hour or so there and went over the car with a fine comb. Alex is quite a nice feller and the car is even better.

He actually bought the car for $3000, but has spent money moving it and cleaning it up. There are now standard height King springs in it with new shockers all round. The tyres are roadworthy, but retreads. It now owes him around the $4000 mark. And he will not be selling it for any less, regardless of want the bid finishes at. ( You work that out! )

But the car itself is a pearl, I would go as far as to say that it's as good as my yellow coupe, if not possibly better, with the exception of the intior.

Refer to the pics:

post-7277-14150797312947_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797313504_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797314044_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797314469_thumb.jpg

For those that are interested, it's an original paint colour that has had a respay about a year or two ago by the looks of things. The body is in excellant condition, even for a 30 plus year old car.

The Window rubbers are great, they are the best you will ever get.

The engine has a couple of oil leaks in the usual places, but compression is even and high. There is a new fuel pump fitted, but it still has the original Dizzy. However, this thing starts from cold like a new car. I mean, it's better than most carby cars I have seen in a long while. And yes Jim, the air cleaner was still on backwards - it's now fixed ;-)

post-7277-14150797314892_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797315362_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797315783_thumb.jpg

The body has had a rust repair in the lower sill behind the drivers door. There is about a millimeters worth of filler cleaning up the sill. It looks like a good repair that will last. On the inside of the boot panels, the edges have been sprayed with a light tar compound which has protected tha car.

There are the usual marks on the drivers door, but these are all. I could not find any others over the whole car.

In the window seal around the boot, in the top left corner there is a little start to rust bubbling through the paint. By the looks of things, it is only just starting and would not take much to get it under control.

The crome work is excellant, all bumpers are straight and the only marks on the crome are at the front. Across the top ove the bonnet there are three small, small, small dents. Oh, and one on the LHS elbow.

This car is straight !

post-7277-14150797316211_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797316642_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797317059_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797317479_thumb.jpg

The interior is good but a little shabby around the edges. Don't forget this thing is over 30 and don't we all ;-)

It still has the original carpets with the plastic locking mounts. The dash has the signiture crack through the speaker, but otherwise unmarked. I didn't test the Air Conditioning, but Alex says it works.

The Drivers seat is the only one with visable damage on the upper section. This would need repair for an Australian Roadworthy, unless you placed seat covers over it.

The rear seat top has been repaired with ather nicely stitched covers. I guess the usual cracking has occurred.

The only real problem I can see in the interior is the lack of a clutch pedal ;-)

post-7277-141507973179_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797318328_thumb.jpg

post-7277-14150797318741_thumb.jpg

On the whole Guys, It's a great example of a coupe. It will last the tests of further time. The only concern I would have if it was mine is that it is too good to mess with. But I guess it's up to the beholder.

As Kent says there are more good ones out there and the price is very expensive. Personally, I would drop $3000 to pick this up. But I know Alex would not take it.

So I guess it comes down to how much you want it.

Hope this helps Guys.

PS: I have more pictures that could be posted, but 14 was enough for now. I also have Alex's telephone number if anyone would like to chat to him directly. PM me if you want it.

PPS: I wish I had bags of money to throw around and store cars like this one. ;-(

PPPS: I do like the colour.

I want this car more than ever now. I can't tell you how much I appreciate the in depth pictures. Do you think he would take $4000aud if it were offered right now? You said you have his number, would you mind asking him? Also, please tell him this is for the American that contacted him about it. He told me he had no problem with shipping the car. Any help I can get is much appreciated. I can be contacted directly at b.dooley1@cox.net or, my phone number is 619-807-1590. Thanks

Brian

:devious: Checked out the original ad against the current add the photo used is the same in both ads????? And still has 1 previous owner?????? Could be a "loss leader":ermm: same as major retail stores used.

Alex is quite a nice feller and the car is even better.

And he will not be selling it for any less, regardless of want the bid finishes at. ( You work that out! )

He has to sell it for what the auction finishes at. That ebay policy. If he doesnt, he should be banned from ebay, and the winning bidder should take legal action to enfors the sale at the finishing bid.

I think it will sell for more thatn $4000 though.

Why is he selling it? He only bought it a couple of months ago? Did he buy it to resell it to make a profit?

It's a reall pity the original seller never let the auction finish.

I am still concerned about the bidding on this car. All the bidders seem to be non-car people. The high bidder now has a 50% ratio of good-bad. Brian, if you want it, I'd offer up $4000 AU$ and ask one of the guys here to help you out.

Allright guys. How do you suggest I proceed? Should I let him arrange the shipping as he said? Or is someone here able to help me with shipping? I will be asking for some help with a few parts as well. Namely the correct pedal to convert it to manual. Is it safe to assume that the pedal box is the same?

Brian