IGNORED

Will #1 240Zs Be Worth This Much Someday?

lonetreesteve

Zs only came in 1 type and parts, though getting difficult, are still out there. A '65 Mustang came in 15 types, I believe, and I don't think there's a lot of HiPo 289 engines lying around inside someone's barn.

1 type?

Maybe the 'HLS30U' only came in 1 type ( and even that is not necessarily true ) but there were some rare homologation specials and limited editions for markets other than the USA, and these are the Z cars that are commanding the highest prices in the world market today.

These things are super rare. It is rare beyond series 1 rare. If Nissan put out a special edition 240z with a 200hp+ turbo DOHC 6 cylinder, modified suspension and aluminum body then yes I think it would go for 200k. But Nissan never did that.

Nissan did make some special models, and these are the ones that we can expect to sell for the highest prices now and in the future too. Perhaps you would like to look into the prices and availability of prime condition PS30s and HS30-Hs. The PS30-SB would probably be the model that is commanding the highest prices in the world at the moment out of all the S30-series Z cars. Only individually historic race cars would appear to be capable of topping that at the moment.

The 'HLS30U' model was made in comparatively huge numbers, so it is likely that only special-interest examples of the 'HLS30U' ( such as the lower VIN numbers ) will command the highest premiums in top condition. I don't think the 'HLS30U' is comparable to the W-30 Olds 442, as the sheer numbers of 'HLS30Us' made - and the number of them still 'alive' - is in a completely different league to a super-rare Muscle car.

Alan T.

Hey I've got a 72 Olds Cutlass Supreme convertible in grade B condition. I'll sell it for 15K right now. PM me if you want pics. White with 2 year old black top, new exhaust, new suspension, new tires. Sport pack with dual side mirrors and floor shifter. Professionally built 350 Rocket, zero body rust.

It was my fathers and he died last year, I have no use for it at all.

Chris A.

1 type?

Maybe the 'HLS30U' only came in 1 type ( and even that is not necessarily true ) but there were some rare homologation specials and limited editions for markets other than the USA, and these are the Z cars that are commanding the highest prices in the world market today.

Alan T.

Speaking off the cuff again. Gomen. I was generalizing and not thinking about the world market, just the US market. I definately must start to think globally.

Original Thread by lonetreesteve

Will #1 240Zs Be Worth This Much Someday?

I believe the original question was would an "American" 240Z in #1 condition ever be worth as much as the current bid on a "American" Olds 442 W-30 muscle car.

I believe the original question was would an "American" 240Z in #1 condition ever be worth as much as the current bid on a "American" Olds 442 W-30 muscle car.

When you write "American"........ who exactly are you quoting? I don't see that question in this thread.

And what exactly is an "...."American 240Z"...."? LOL

Its a Japanese car - made in Japan.

Originally Posted by moonpup

"American" 240Z

Originally Posted by HS30-H

And what exactly is an "...."American 240Z"...."?

Hey Alan, I didn't give you permission to move my quotation mark but I guess you had to in order to validate your reply.

That wasn't the original question. Look at the title of the thread. I do, however, understand your meaning for "American" 240Z vs. "American 240Z".

Will a 240z be worth this one day? Yes, but I have a feeling most of us won't see that day ... Years and Years from now when salt and time has done it's work there will be about 20 - 40 #1 240z cars in total, of them there will be about 15 or so low vin # ones. (Carl or some one else please feel free to correct me on numbers as I am estimating by what I have read through other posts, but don't have quite the time in the Z world as others).

By that time those 15 or so car WILL be worth good money, 100k + and a few the upper 100's. But I am thinking years ahead of now. While those of us who are Z nuts love our cars, the American Muscle cars have a much larger and broader appeal than the Z car. We also have to remeber, the Z car was one of the few desireable Japanese cars back in the day of the American Muscle car. I can't think of another Japanese car. (Of course I am 25 and wasn't even born).

For the longest time I wanted a 69' SS/RS Camaro and still would love one. I had the chance to get a 68' RS for 5,000 when I was 17 and I kinda which I did because that car would have been worth at least double what it what I paid. I can't say that for the 96' Sentra I bought. Of course my 'profit' I made would have gone away in the cost in gas ROFL .

So one day the Z car will demand a high dollar, but I don't see it happening for quite a while. The American Muscle car just has a much broader appeal and with that more check books which causes a higher demand. So our best bet is to start to 'create' a demand by bringing more people into the Z car game. The best way to do that is to get more 350z car owners to learn the heritage of thier Z car.

Originally Posted by HS30-H

When you write "American"........ who exactly are you quoting? I don't see that question in this thread.

Originally Posted by sblake01

That wasn't the original question. Look at the title of the thread. I do, however, understand your meaning for "American" 240Z vs. "American 240Z".

Technically you and Alan are correct.

However, I did begin my statement with "I believe" which means/implies that what follows is my opinion. In addition, I also wrapped the original thread title to show what my statement referred to and I had thought that everyone would have recognized that my statement was a paraphrase of the original thread title.

Sorry to have confused some of y'all, I guess in the future when I paraphrase something, I will begin my statement with...I believe the intent of the original question was....!