IGNORED

Will #1 240Zs Be Worth This Much Someday?

lonetreesteve

Hard to say, but not likely. That car is a bit more rare than the average Z, and there's a whole muscle car world backing that one to high numbers.

The Z following, while committed and dedicated, just isn't as big, and while more and more people are finding these cars and loving them, I have a feeling we'll be little more than a niche market.

If it gets to the point that you can pick up a Jeg's catalog and order ANY part for your classic Z, and shops are starting to produce parts that are NLA, rather than just hunting for the occassional spare and charging a fortune, then maybe I'll change my thinking.

Pity the guy that buys the car. Whatever he pays . . . in 10 years, the value will drop like a rock to next-to-nothing. That's the way of the collector car world. A friend of mine had a barn full of collector cars and the told me that one of his cars, an Essex, had dropped $11,000.00 in value simply because people who fondly remembered the car were dying off at a rapid pace and the car was not an item of interest anymore. The same will happen with the muscle cars once the baby boomers start to decline.

Save the Z by showing and educating the young 'uns the history and significance of the Z. It may be the only way to save the Z for the future.

BTW, I don't think he's going to get the price he's looking for.

Pity the guy that buys the car. Whatever he pays . . . in 10 years, the value will drop like a rock to next-to-nothing. That's the way of the collector car world. A friend of mine had a barn full of collector cars and the told me that one of his cars, an Essex, had dropped $11,000.00 in value simply because people who fondly remembered the car were dying off at a rapid pace and the car was not an item of interest anymore. The same will happen with the muscle cars once the baby boomers start to decline.

Save the Z by showing and educating the young 'uns the history and significance of the Z. It may be the only way to save the Z for the future.

Very good analysis, I think the Z is poised to become more collectible in part because there is a huge cadre of younger folks who worship the "ricer" Japanese cars, and they are discovering, or will discover the history of their vehicles and the ancestry of the Nissan Z.

That's my theory anyway.

It will be a very long time before the Baby Boomers (born 1946-1964), the largest generation in the history of the USA, die off. The very oldest are just turning 60 this year and the youngest (like me) are still in their early-to-mid- forties. Besides, a lot of the Baby Boomers' kids LOVE muscle cars almost as much as their fathers do. :love: Muscle cars are exciting cars from a very exciting time period in America (1964-1970). As we all know, the 240Z is also an exciting car that came around the end of the muscle car era and I agree with Deadflo, are going to grow in popularity (and value).

I, too am an end-of-the-boom Boomer, and while I love the classic muscle cars, I just can't see paying so much for them. Whereas the Z can still be had for a couple of thousand for a fixer-upper, a fixer-upper muscle car is going to cost way more. And finding all those missing muscle car parts that disappeared long ago will be like looking for hens' teeth.

Zs only came in 1 type and parts, though getting difficult, are still out there. A '65 Mustang came in 15 types, I believe, and I don't think there's a lot of HiPo 289 engines lying around inside someone's barn.

The only way I'll ever own a muscle car would be to get something that's not popular or "recognized" as a "true" muscle car - like a Buick GS 455 or a Dodge Dart 340 GT.

FWIW

This isn't exactly any Oldsmobile, this is a 442 W-30. These things are super rare. It is rare beyond series 1 rare. If Nissan put out a special edition 240z with a 200hp+ turbo DOHC 6 cylinder, modified suspension and aluminum body then yes I think it would go for 200k. But Nissan never did that. I think Z prices will increase especially when people realize that they can get a beautiful classic sports car and good gas milage.