IGNORED

Build Guide for a Tow bar for your Z

280z1975

The following is how to build a tow bar for your Z and save yourself the cost of paying someone to tow yours around. I did this on my 280z. I assume a 240z will be similar, but may require some different steps, none the less, it’s all about the same. In the words of Clint Eastwood in Heartbreak Ridge, “Improvise, Adapt, Overcome”. Total cost is about 125 dollars.

This ‘fix’ assumes you have both A) another vehicle to tow a car with and B) a rolling chassis for this to work.

List of materials you will need include:

- 3 inch angle iron, 8 feet of the stuff, I used 3/8 inch

- Possibly an angle grinder

- A level

- A drill and a good set of high strength drill bits

- One set of tow lights

- On universal tow bracket

- Access to a welder

- About two hours or so build time

You will first need to remove the front bumper from the car and then the bumper mounts of the car. You will also need to take off the horns at this time. There should be enough room not for you to be able to insert the angle iron where the old bumper mounts were.

I made my bumper mounts 18” long, which seemed just right to me, you can make them a little longer or shorter if you like. I had the metal shop where I bought the angle iron cut it for me so I didn’t have to use an angle grinder. I then clamped each of the 18” pieces of angle iron in place so that they were level. I attached these with the lower of two of the three mounting holes. Since at the time I did this I had the cars fenders off I was able to access the from the other side to drill a small marking hole. I then took off each piece of angle iron and drilled the holes progressively larger till they were just a bit bigger than the mounting bolts.

Replace the angle iron not and secure them to the chassis of the car. Next place the last piece of angle iron over the top of the two sticking out of the car. I had mine run 6 inches wide on each side of the angle iron. Now you will need to tack weld the bar in place once you have aligned everything in place. Once you are satisfied with how things are fitted (make sure that from the inside the angle iron butts up close to the front piece of angle iron so you can easily weld it all up.)

After your tack welds, weld the top of the angle iron to each other and then remove the tow bar from the car. You now want to weld up EVERY side where the angle iron meets up. You can do this while it is on the car, but it can be a bit complicated.

Now reattach the tow bar to the car (it will be a tight fit!) so ease it in there. I used a jack to keep the front end from moving down when I was reattaching the whole deal. Next mount the tow brackets from your universal tow bar according to their instructions. I placed mine where the bolts ran to both sides of where the frame mounted angle iron parts meet up with each other.

The only problem I have run into is the fact the horns don’t mount back in place with the 3” angle iron. You can cut out just a little bit of the angle iron to allow them to fit but I didn’t because I wanted to keep as much strength as possible in the tow bar.

Remember that you will need to have a set of tow lights when towing around your car and make sure to meet all local and state regulations, safety chains are almost always required. Your car also needs to be in neutral and make sure it STAYS in neutral while driving the car so you don’t screw up the transmission. And always, the emergency brake must be released and the key in the ignition so that the wheel doesn’t lock up. PLEASE KEEP SAFETY IN MIND.

Now for the legal, THIS IS ONLY A REFERANCE GUIDE. I am doing this so that everyone out there can tow their car cheaper and easier if they choose. If you can’t do this task properly then don’t! This tow bar is ultimately attached with four bolts to your Z car and it’s up to you if you think this is enough.

Now that that is done with the total cost involved for me was:

10 feet of angle iron … 20 bucks

Magnetic Tow lights … 25 plus shipping (Harbor Freight) http://www.harborfreight.com/

Universal Tow Bar … 75ish (shipping included) most places, use Froogle and the search of “Universal Tow Bar”

Welding rods … 5 bucks

Total cost of around 125 bucks. I was able to borrow a welder, so that saved me a bit of money, and the angle grinder I already had. You can use the universal tow bar on other vehicles too. I did this same principal on my brothers jeep when I towed it cross country.

So far I have towed my Z around on 6 trips and at 50 bucks a tow that is quite a bit of savings. Also I am moving and for a front wheel tow dolly from U-haul iis 125 bucks or 250 for a car trailer. That trip alone will pay for this tow bar. So I have been able to save a good bit of money. If I come up with a better mounting solution (or someone can suggest one) that is more semi-permanent I will post something about that.

I hope this has been helpful.

post-10327-14150797203511_thumb.jpg

post-10327-14150797203878_thumb.jpg

post-10327-14150797204217_thumb.jpg