IGNORED

240K Vs 240Z rear brake kits

ive been suprised by my brake package i orginally went with 81 mazda 929 calipers and discs on the rear they have hand brake build into them.the discs slide straight on made my own caliper mounts just bolted them off the 4 bolts in the strut

1st fronts where std calipers with metal king pads and grooved std discs

2nd was hilux 4x4 on grooved discs

3rd and current hilux late model on falcon discs with carbon pads

through all my changes the backs have worked fine

another option to think about is the rx7 series 4 rear calipers again hand brake built into caliper along with ventilated discs been running this on the rx4 rally car for a few years work fine using commodore front calipers and falcon discs

Another option would be 90 to 94 200sx calipers

its not that hard to make a mount my zed ones i made out of 10 mm steel the rx4 we made out 6 mm and they lasted just fine and been worked damn hard

I might be wrong but a lot of kits your paying for the guys knowledge ( and he deserves it if thats his business) as much as the fittings but if u can find some parts and try them with out buying them theres always another way

I was told jaguar 4 spot calipers and chrylser cl discs worked fine years ago they might have done for the guy that told me that but damned if i could make them fit under my 15" rims ended up fitting the calipers and falcon discs to my mates transit van man they worked sweet

mick

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update guys,

I bought an imported Skyline DR30 rear end (crossmember, half shafts, disks, dust plates and a single caliper :( ) from a parts importer for AU$350. The only thing i really scored from this was the 2nd hand rotors, a really bent set of dust covers and a single DR30 caliper and handbrake cable. hopefully the rest can be sold off to R30 skyline ppl

I will be swapping the halfshafts for a DR30 1" Master cylinder and booster though, so that is nice :D

The early DR30 rear bracket calipers were bolted onto the hub, whilst later on they were welded on, so i grabbed a new set of brake caliper mounts from nissan (around $140 a side).

i havn't test fitted it all yet, but i am hopign this will allow me to bolt the complete DR30 stuff together onto my 240k

A friend of mine, convinced me that the DR30 rear brakes should be sufficient to stop the car, since in japan they upgrade the fronts of DR30's to GTR brakes (i am going to use similar R34 GTT ones), and leave the rears stock. My car is lighter than a DR30 so i should be okay

the rear disks will be 258mmx10mm solids

ive been using mazda 929 rear discs and calipers for years work fine there a 258 mm disc and slided straight over the 240z stud axles

have worked fine with hilux 4 x 4 vent front discs and std master cylinder

I will be swapping the halfshafts for a DR30 1" Master cylinder and booster though, so that is nice :D

You really don't need a 1" master cylinder. The difference is a little less pedal travel and a harder pedal which is easier to 'modulate' when driving on the limit.

If you want a more 'normal' feel, the 15/16" will work well provided you don't switch to twin piston rear calipers. Then it will again have a longer and softer pedal.

btw, a Nissan Patrol around '81 has a 1" master cylinder that is almost identical in appearance to the stock unit.

A friend of mine, convinced me that the DR30 rear brakes should be sufficient to stop the car, since in japan they upgrade the fronts of DR30's to GTR brakes (i am going to use similar R34 GTT ones), and leave the rears stock. My car is lighter than a DR30 so i should be okay

the rear disks will be 258mmx10mm solids

It's not the caliper only you have to consider.

For a front disk close to 270mm the 258 rear disks will be adequate.

If you fit something around 290mm with four spot calipers and the 258mm rear disks with single piston floating calipers then you are going to have a car that locks front wheels at the slightest hint of a damp road.

Try to keep the diameter of the front and rear disks reasonably close, then you will have less pain getting the balance right.

so it looks like if I get this front set up previously on Kent's car I will need late model 240K struts as mine are early?

Very likely if your present disks are 250mm.

And a new master cylinder too - or would that only really be necessary if I changed the rears too?

Anytime you go to four piston calipers you are going to need a bigger master.

Use 15/16" for single piston or drum rears, 1" for two piston rears for normal street use.

Step up 1/16" on either if you intend club competition (regularity etc)

if you want to measure the distance between your current caliper bolts

The bolt spacing to mount the caliper is the same on nearly all Nissan RWD cars!

It's the distance from the centre of the axle to the caliper bolts that changes.

You can actually bolt 200B calipers straight on a C210 strut but you won't find a rotor to match the combination!

does anyone know what "late model 240K" equates to?
toyota 4pots are a direct bolt on to late c110 struts? what year(s)? or do you mean late model 240k as in c210

Sorry, I was sleeping at the wheel for a while!!

Anyway, I have found 270mm solid disks on the front of late '75 onward C110's but that's no guarantee that someone else hasn't been in there before with C210 struts.

That's the critical bit, the struts must have had 270mm disks to be an easy swap prospect.

Plan on an adjustable rear brake bias compensation valve too.

It will make it lots easier to dial in the package to JUST lock the front wheels before the rears.

Don't get into rear wheel lock first unless you have a LOT of experience in a discipline such as speedway or rallying.

HTH

It's not the caliper only you have to consider.

For a front disk close to 270mm the 258 rear disks will be adequate.

If you fit something around 290mm with four spot calipers and the 258mm rear disks with single piston floating calipers then you are going to have a car that locks front wheels at the slightest hint of a damp road.

Try to keep the diameter of the front and rear disks reasonably close, then you will have less pain getting the balance right.

that is what i am afraid off, not knowing that much about brake balancing etc. Do you have any suggestions on what will match 290mm 4 spot fronts and retain a handbrake cable? there obviously isn't an easy answer if SWR suggestion was going commodore rears with a banksia brake.. and i really can't afford to spend $2000+ on the rears at the moment. obviously though if i can do it properly i would prefer to.

every nissan rear that i have seen have been single pot with handbrake cable, or twin spot with an integrated banksia cable, and i assumed that converting one of these would be too hard for a basic backyard mechanic such as myself.

The bolt spacing to mount the caliper is the same on nearly all Nissan RWD cars!

It's the distance from the centre of the axle to the caliper bolts that changes.

You can actually bolt 200B calipers straight on a C210 strut but you won't find a rotor to match the combination!

my GTT brakes certainly don't match up to the C210 struts (100mm vs 75mm i think), or are you talking about of the same vintage?

That's right Kent. On the front brakes, the 1600/180B had a 3" bolt spacing (which suits Commodore calipers). The HR31, Aus spec GTS and R32 onwards Skylines, and Z32 onwards had 100mm spacing (also fits Subaru calipers). Almost all other RWD Nissans / Datsuns run the 3.5" bolt spacing, which is the same as Landcruiser / Hilux 4 piston calipers.

There may be some other exceptions too, eg 1200's, 120Y, Stanza, but I have never considered using any of their parts, nor have I done a brake upgrade on them, so can't comment from experience.

Also, the issue of 250mm rear discs compared to 290mm vented front / 4 spot calipers is more of a heat dissipation issue. It is possible to adjust rear bias to get the rear working harder, but they will most likely fade quicker than something as big as what you're proposing for the front.

Have you considered a custom caliper bracket, and using the front 270mm C110 disc on the back? This way you can still use the MR30 or R31 rear caliper. it's something I've thought about, although haven't investigated. One thing that may be a problem I believe is the centre bore of the 270mm disc is too big for the hub, which means you might need to use a spacer ring to centre the disc.

Peter.

kent ive been running 290 mm falcon front discs with 4 spot hilux calipers and 250 mm rears with single piston calipers for years no problem

quite well balanced

would agree that a adjustable bias valve would be a good idea to adjust the brakes i been running a izuzu one for years but got a wilwood one the other day off ebay $110 so its not a big expense

as for master cylinders ive been running std 240z right through

other option for rear is the modern motorsport idea using 300zx rear discs 290 mm and 240sx calipers just dont know how easy the 240sx calipers are to find in australia could use modern motosport caliper mount source discs locally DBA list them on there internet site

wouldnt be that hard to make caliper mount up made my own for the mazda calipers

Kent,

I just finished my brake conversion on my 260Z... 266mm vented fronts with 4spot Landcruiser's & 280mm solid rear with sigma single piston caillipers. I'm still using the 7/8 M/C bit will be changed to 15/16 to give me a slightly firmer pedal. This set up works quite well with the fronts locking up before the rears under heavy braking. (I don't know what it will be like in the wet, it hasn't rained yet).