IGNORED

240K Vs 240Z rear brake kits

Hi Guys,

i am once again looking into getting off my arse and doing my brake conversions.

does anyone know (and i am sure there will be someone) if a 240Z rear brake conversion kit would work on a 240K arm?

looking at something similar to this:

http://www.modern-motorsports.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=2

the 240SX is the equivilant to the imported 180SX here i think.

Hi Kent

Been down this road and there is nothing I found that is a straight bolt-on.

240z has a different distance from the wheel mounting flange to the backing plate mounting face so although the disks will fit, the caliper mount bracket is unusable.

I have used 280ZX rear brakes with 'Annette' style calipers.

The 280ZX also supplied the longer wheel studs.

A custom pair of caliper mount brackets and custom handbrake cables.

Not yet investigated but a possibility is a C210 coupe I have access to which looks to be near identical in the rear end and already has 270mm disks.

It really depends on what use you have in mind. Our C110 is a 'regularity' class competitor so doesn't need huge brakes.

270mm by 20mm ventilated front disks with four piston calipers and 270mm solid rear disks with 'Annette' calipers have proven adequate.

HTH

yeah that is what i thought,

the reason i ask was that i was considering getting stewart Wilkins to do the rear brakes for me, the price i got was around $1500 fitted, and was based on some form of commodore setup (new disks and calipers included). I didn't ask but i figured it was their 240Z/260Z rear brake kit (pricing was around the same).

I am now trying to keep my costs down and trying to do as much as i can on the car (trying to save on labour), since there is sooo much left to do, but it looks like i won't be able just to buy the kit and simply bolt it on myself, some work will need to be done. If that is the case, i may as well modify the existing designs that Bruce has made for R30 calipers and change them to suite R34 GTT rear calipers (atleast then i know they will suit my R34 GTT front's). i am planning on using a 15/16" master cyl. but i do not know why, i was just told by SWR that i would need one so i got one..

You might want to look at skyline R31 rear disc's, Calipers and mounting bracket. I had started this on a 240k arm because this setup fits closely a 1600 arm. However the k has a bigger bearing ie a larger hole, what I did acheive gringing out the hole I could fit the top 2 bolt holes.

The offset using the original cal, disc, and mount is spot on for a 240K, if I was going to pursue it I think I could weld up and redrill bottom hole and perhaps get 3 bolts in.

Yeah, i was originally going for a set of R31 rears and Z32 NA fronts, but i since bought a set of 30mm R34 front calipers, and i have been told by SWR that the R31's would not be a good balance for the rears in my setup :( so it looks like i may need to do a bit of a hybrid of the current 240K-R30 design with the rotors and caliper sizes i end up using.. i was hoping there would be atleast something around already, but doesn't look like it..

learning something new all the time ... :classic:

what about 280zx rear brakes?

probably too small for your application, but still might make an easier conversion for the budget-minded since the zx was more sedan like in it's supension than the s30

Expanding on my previous answer.

The fronts to give a reasonable match with the 280zx rears are:

Toyota 4WD 4 piston calipers (direct bolt-on to late C110 struts)

Peugeot 504 disks (DBA272) with 5mm spacers, redrilled to mount on 240k hubs.

Left brake hard line slightly reshaped on right and vice versa.

That's all!

Struts MUST have had 270mm solid discs originally - mine were from a C210.

I figured that most braking effort was on the front so as long as enough was present on the rear to keep the car straight without locking them then it should be OK.

So far experience has shown it to work well although there is some sign that pad wear on the rear is considerably higher.

I would have preferred a bit more pad and slightly larger piston for the rear but couldn't find anything just right with parking brake included.

Probably should have hung a small extra set of cable operated calipers on Jaguar style for the parking brake!!

Master cylinder needs to be at least 15/16". The stock 7/8" results in far too much pedal travel to push enough fluid to the 4 piston calipers and also gives a soft unpredictable pedal feel. I'm using a 1" Patrol part for a firm short pedal and find it's much easier to control (modulate) the brakes with it.

yep, my current fronts are a combination Hilux/accord combo, never driven them with it (it is still a shell).

i certainly considered thinking about a 2nd brake for the handbrake, then i could have used R34 GTT rears

interesting what you say about the M/C, SWR recommended that i got a 15/16" M/C from the 280Z (?), i ended up buying a brandnew nabco one out of the states, it is sitting there in it's box, i wonder if this will be a little small now?

Toyota 4WD 4 piston calipers (direct bolt-on to late C110 struts)

Peugeot 504 disks (DBA272) with 5mm spacers, redrilled to mount on 240k hubs.

Left brake hard line slightly reshaped on right and vice versa.

That's all!

Struts MUST have had 270mm solid discs originally - mine were from a C210.

Master cylinder needs to be at least 15/16". The stock 7/8" results in far too much pedal travel to push enough fluid to the 4 piston calipers and also gives a soft unpredictable pedal feel. I'm using a 1" Patrol part for a firm short pedal and find it's much easier to control (modulate) the brakes with it.

Good information . . . . so it looks like if I get this front set up previously on Kent's car I will need late model 240K struts as mine are early? And a new master cylinder too - or would that only really be necessary if I changed the rears too?

(Sorry for diverting the topic a bit!!)

if you want to measure the distance between your current caliper bolts, i will measure mine as they come off. The guy who setup my car had it on the road with the current brake setup, so it must work, though i would certainly upgrade the M/C if you goto rear disks too

does anyone know what "late model 240K" equates to?