IGNORED

#913 On Ebay

lonetreesteve

That car doesn't look anywhere near as bad as 27, but it's bad. The economics of a project like this would be easily $40,000 over the next four years to have a $40,000 when you are finished. Pristine restored Zs and / or pristine originals go for as high as $30,000 now. They will be $40,000 in four years. The BIN is half what I paid for 27 - it's a good deal for those so inclined. Good luck if you buy it. Keep the faith. Write me about the parts you are going to need.

Chris

...snipped.....Pristine restored Zs and / or pristine originals go for as high as $30,000 now. They will be $40,000 in four years....snipped...

Chris

Chris... I know. you know that pristine originals are now going for $40K... One buyer that I know, offered one owner that I know.. $40K for a certain white 72 that we both know ... the offer was refused...

Heck - that Orange 72 on ebay with 80K miles went for $20K.. if the economy stays good and interest rates stay low.. pristine 240-Z's will be $50K+ in four years.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I'll never forget many years ago when I bought 26th...My Porsche friends laughed when I said that some day 26th would be worth $16,000 to $20,000 - four to five times what I paid for Her Majesty. But then, look at what 1970 911s are going for these days. Value in the market is going to go up and down. Right now, Z cars are increasing in value by well documented observation. They are coming into their own and I think we will see this continue for some years while the guys (like me) buy and own cars they cherished during their early adulthood. I was talking to a fellow Z collector about a $60,000 pristine Fairlady 432 and we both agreed that the price was not all that bad. In context, the value of the collectable Z car is still relatively economical. But it all comes down to what many people agree on, and that is; a car is only worth what someone is willing to pay at any given time. I don't know if that guy we know, Carl, is an anomaly or not. Half the fun is sitting back and watching the show.

Hi Chris:

No, he isn't an anomaly, from the perspective that he's willing to pay for a #1 car. He in turn has a couple of friends, that seeing his Z, decided they wanted one of their own.. and so it goes. As Collectors with serious money enter the market, they bring others with them. Doesn't take long once that starts to spread out to larger numbers of them.. Of course the supply of true #1 cars is VERY limited indeed.

Of course once that starts.. the #2 cars follow the value curve at a lower level ($20K-$28K)... and the #3 cars follow more closely along. ($18K to $20K).

Of course very few of us have a true #1, #2 or even #3 car judged with a critical eye. But the #4 cars are now in the $10K to $12K range for the right buyers, and many are still sold for half that amount. Supply, Demand and Timing.... Putting your car up for sale when there is a serious buyer looking.. then reaching him with your ad - it's a roll of the dice...

One problem in the #4 category is that the buyers there, are still thinking they can find a #4 car for $5K. After they look for a year, show up to inspect the "perfect" car.. only to find junk, time after time... they figure out that it takes $10K now to buy the car they want. Or they buy the $5K car and wind up putting $10K into it...

FWIW,

Carl B.