IGNORED

240Z Dash removal

HKSZ

How long does it take you guys to remove a 240Z dash?

Any tips to make it easier, I did it on my 260z ground up resto but that was years ago.Unfortunately the 240's heater started to leak and I thought I'd have a CRACK at repairing the dash when the heater comes out.

Plenty of beer, one day, and notepad to write the sequence down about what comes out first, be specific and bag all bolts, nuts, etc. I say this because I didn't be very specific and I should kick myself(tomorrow maybe). Have fun

It took me a couple of hours to get it out but I was in a hurry. It took much longer to get back in since I didn't follow the other good advice above regarding labeling everything carefully and keeping good track of the fasteners. I did buy a pack of narrow electrical tape in multiple colors and used this to mark connectors on each side. In other words, the green male connector goes with the nearest green female connector that happens to fit. That may be quicker than having to label everything by name (assuming you even know the name for a particular connector) since you don't have to read your labels. I need to pull my dash back out at some point to fix a few things (blower motor, dust in instruments, etc.) so I'll be more careful. I did leave all the colored tape in place so that part will be easier.

Pulling the dash in and out has got to be one of the most challenging (fun, PITA, beer required, etc., etc.) items, along with the rear spindle pins, on a Z car. Limber up, have patients, and plenty-O-refreshments!

I didn't find that taking it out was all that difficult, at least not in my early 240Z. Took me maybe 45 minutes or so?

But putting it back in was time consuming, somewhere between 2 and 3 hours to get it all lined up and connected.

Well, I guess it has all been covered. If you don't have coloured tape or labels, just use a permanent marker and write letters on both male and female connectors. Take heaps of digital photos. Make sure you take your time and label everything really well.

Be carefull with the 30 year old thing. There will be little areas where it will be weak. Take special care when taking the centre heater panel out. Very brittle and prone to breaking.

It is heavier than you think. I'm not 100% sure I'm correct in saying that the factory probably put the dash's in without the windscreen in place. So it will be harder to get back in. I took mine out as I'm doing a full restore, if the seal is look dodgy, then why not do the same!

Do a search on here. I think Enrique did a write up on the dash removal process. It may have been Mbrandy....can't remember. Have a search for it.

i tore my dash out in about 45 minutes aswell... didnt care to mark anything tho because it was all being sold. My 280z took about the same time to take out, but i didnt really care if it got even more cracked because i plan on buying a full dash cover. I found it to be a fairly easy job its just difficult to squeeze the screwdriver into the bolts near the window. If my car were fully restored, that would be a different story... prolly take me a good hour,hour and a half just to be sure i have everything marked and the bolts in a safe area marked and ready for installation

I did buy a pack of narrow electrical tape in multiple colors and used this to mark connectors on each side. In other words, the green male connector goes with the nearest green female connector that happens to fit. That may be quicker than having to label everything by name (assuming you even know the name for a particular connector) since you don't have to read your labels.

When I took mine out I just used a permenant marker to lable my wires. I started at A and kept going. When I went back and forgot where I started to use symbols like a smily face or a star.

Made me thing of my Calculus teacher who used smily face and hearts instead of the typical 'X' and 'y' place holders because it confused some of the students when you used formulas that used x and y axis points. He was different though, always had a coffee cup in one hand all class and a trasparency marker in the other, I swear that coffee cup was full of brandy.

Anyways, I digress ... you just need to label them, and don't need to know exactly what each of them do ... it helps, but is not nessisarry. Now I just hope I did a good job of photo taking and labeling when I put my dash back in next week :P

IMO: Having removed and installed both dashes and windshields, I think it would be much harder to install the windshield with the dash in place, than with it removed.

But then that's been my experience since I haven't had to replace a windshield without having the dash out (Total Paint). But in thinking how easy removing/installing the dash can be (especially once you've "practiced" :) ) I'd probably opt for removing the dash just to ensure the ease of the windshield install (notwithstanding reducing the risk of breaking the windshield).

But that's just MY 2¢

E