IGNORED

Original Key Blanks

1 Bravo 6

Yes, that is also possible, however IMO much less likely. The Ignition lock gets used FAR more than the other locks over time, thus it usually wears quicker.

OEM (replacement) Ignition Lock Assemblies include new tamper resistant screws. (since you have to bugger up the old ones to remove the original lock assembly).

Actually you can remove these screws by carefully tapping them around

counter clockwise with a punch . Then to re install I cut slots in the heads,

and spin em back in . The ignition plug assembly is held in by a few tiny

roll pins that can be carefully removed , and the plug can be replaced with

a new setup in reverse. You fill the drill holes next to the roll pins with

lead fishing weight bb's for that ''factory'' look !

On my 240Z's, the "plug" of the wiring harness simply plugs into the the "switch" (the electrical switch that mounts on the back of the "lock" assembly). This electrical "switch" is secured to the "lock assembly" by 2 small screws. All of this is easy to remove and replace. I haven't seen these roll pins that you describe.

Yes, you can often loosen the tamper resistant screws that secure the entire Ignition lock/switch to the steering collumn by tapping with a punch, but that leaves traces, and to reinstall by cutting slots into them, IMO that is buggering the tamper resistant feature and I think Ken would have noticed something like that.

All in All, it's too easy to remove and replace the Ignition Lock/Switch assembly.

I have heard strong statements in this and other threads that one key should fit all locks in Zeds but I have had several P510 Datsun 1600's, P610 Datsun 180B's and now four Zeds - all built 1969 to 1977 - and from memory all have had a separate key for the ignition and one other key for all other locks (doors, boot, hatch and fuel lid). Several of these cars have been purchased new but most have been used.

This might be just an Australian thing.

Australian 240Z had 2 keys. One single sided key operated the ignition.

The other double edged key operated the doors, glovebox, and fuel flap lock (yep, something nissan also short changed you USA 240z buyers on).

I dont seem to have any original dasun keys. But the copies I have are on the following blanks

Ignition:

(Brand) (type)

CEA NS5

CEA WAS1

ILCO VH MZ12

Edmonds VH

Doors:

SILICA DAT9R

DL DT22

ILCO X7 62DU

Dunno if thats any help to anyone.

Oh and 240K keys are exactly the same as 240Z keys (one ignition, one door/ glovebox/ etc). Probably any datsun key is the same blank across models for a particular year. (i've had 3 240z a 260z and a 240K, and it is the same deal with all of them)

Tamper resistant screws - you can just buy new ones. the hex head snaps off when they are tight. No sense in making it any easier for car thieves.

I'm speculating here (ie this is pure fiction, but you might get a laugh out of it), but it might have something to do with service stations (remember when other people pumped the gas for you? I dont). Instead of having to give the attendant your ignition keys out of the ignition, you could give them the door key that opened the filler door. (no remote releases in those days). Since garage workers are an untrustworthy bunch you dont want them having the ignition key anyway. They could make a wax imprint and rip off your car. ROFL

In the USA you didnt have locks on the gas flaps, so you didnt need to hand over the keys, so no need to have a different key.

Oh, and we need locks on the petrol flaps to stop bludgers stealing our petrol when were asleep in bed.:bandit:

Trustworthy bunch arent we. Guess that's what happens when a country starts out as a dumping ground for other countries convicts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenz240z

My '73 240Z has a key for the ignition only, and a separate key for the doors & hatch.

My'73 240Z also has one key for the ignition only, and a separate key for the doors, glovebox and hatch. I doubt that my locks have ever been replaced.

LOL, In spite of information provided DIRECTLY from a Nissan issued publication! What does it take to open peoples eyes to the REALITY of HLS30U cars?

I quote from Post #10:

===================================================

HI Guys:

From Nissan Service Bulletin: Feb. 1971, Vol. 137

Introduction Of Datsun 240Z Sports Model, S30 Series (1971 Late Models)

or what we call the Series II cars.

Page 3:

*Improved Convenience:

8. A new pocket added to the sun visor affords increased convenience of the driver by providing stowage for highway tickets

9.Two-step door link offers another work feature - the driver need not stretch much out of his seat to close the door in tight quarters or narrow spaces.

10.New pull button type seat belt connection requires adjustment only at the buckle.

11.New, reversible key is especially useful when operating the door lock in the dark or at night. On cars for U.S.A. and Canada, the reversible key is also used for both the ignition, steering lock and door locks.

= = = = = = = end quote == = = =

Maybe Nissan is wrong and you are right. :rolleyes:

LOL, In spite of information provided DIRECTLY from a Nissan issued publication! What does it take to open peoples eyes to the REALITY of HLS30U cars?

I quote from Post #10:

===================================================

HI Guys:

From Nissan Service Bulletin: Feb. 1971, Vol. 137

Introduction Of Datsun 240Z Sports Model, S30 Series (1971 Late Models)

or what we call the Series II cars.

Page 3:

*Improved Convenience:

8. A new pocket added to the sun visor affords increased convenience of the driver by providing stowage for highway tickets

9.Two-step door link offers another work feature - the driver need not stretch much out of his seat to close the door in tight quarters or narrow spaces.

10.New pull button type seat belt connection requires adjustment only at the buckle.

11.New, reversible key is especially useful when operating the door lock in the dark or at night. On cars for U.S.A. and Canada, the reversible key is also used for both the ignition, steering lock and door locks.

= = = = = = = end quote == = = =

Maybe Nissan is wrong and you are right. :rolleyes:

Well, experience has shown that just because someone put it in a manual, code or service bulletin (in this case) doesn't mean that variations did not occur. And since several people with '73 Z's have two keys as described above, reality in this case carries more weight than print. I think there may also be some confusion on what a 'reversable key' is. Both of my keys can be put into the lock either way - so perhaps that is what 'reversable key' meant? Is so, since both my ignition key and door keys are 'reversable', the service bulletin is satisfied. Perhaps there was a special requirement for certain states (not sure if any of the other members cars that have two keys are Cali cars like mine?) that they have separate keys for the ingition and doors at the time? Maybe someone at Nissan bought too many sets of locks and they had to use them up before switching over to 1 key for everything? Maybe the lock maker made too many and offered Nissan a deal they couldn't refuse to buy up the rest of them and use them at some point after the intial switch over? In any business stranger things do indeed happen...

Well, experience has shown that just because someone put it in a manual, code or service bulletin (in this case) doesn't mean that variations did not occur. And since several people with '73 Z's have two keys as described above, reality in this case carries more weight than print. I think there may also be some confusion on what a 'reversable key' is. Both of my keys can be put into the lock either way - so perhaps that is what 'reversable key' meant? Is so, since both my ignition key and door keys are 'reversable', the service bulletin is satisfied. Perhaps there was a special requirement for certain states (not sure if any of the other members cars that have two keys are Cali cars like mine?) that they have separate keys for the ingition and doors at the time? Maybe someone at Nissan bought too many sets of locks and they had to use them up before switching over to 1 key for everything? Maybe the lock maker made too many and offered Nissan a deal they couldn't refuse to buy up the rest of them and use them at some point after the intial switch over? In any business stranger things do indeed happen...

No, the service bulletin is not satisfied in that manner. It specifically says:

11.New, reversible key is especially useful when operating the door lock in the dark or at night. On cars for U.S.A. and Canada, the reversible key is also used for both the ignition, steering lock and door locks. THE KEY, not A KEY.

As for the lockmaker building and Nissan later using excess inventory of the earlier type of locks here in the USA, well you are grasping at straws here. But you are right, stranger things do indeed happen, like you actually believing this nonsense in the face of much information to the contrary.

"Doubting " is not the same as "Knowing".

Why is is so difficult for you to accept that many HLS30U Z's ended up with a separate key for the ignition due to the relatively poor quality of the lock mechanism which eventually allowed the key to be removed from the lock when in any position, and allowing ANY key to operate ANY lock.

The fact is , several people who actually own/owned brand new Series 2 or later 240Z's have stated the correct information, and some have even provided documentation to prove how these cars were equipped.

Where is the proof in your "doubt"?

Doug , what did you think ''reversible'' means , other than the obvious ,

unless you think that you could put the key in both forward and backwards?

No flame intended , but it's true , your car was assembled with ONE key

to fit all locks for the last time ! Your '73 is too late a model to have Datsun

mix and match really early locks with your car.

Say it with me : ONE KEY,ONE KEY,ONE KEY .

I know it's hard to let it go .......... again , ONE KEY,ONE KEY. Say , it's

getting easier , isn't it ? :D:D:D

I took a look at the owner's manual I have, presumably for a '73, although I couldn't find a date. Anyway, here's what it has to say about the KEY: ==========

The key operates the various locks on your Datsun. Record key numbers so as to enable your NISSAN/DATSUN dealer to replace the lost key.

Reversible feature. Either side up.

- Ignition switch & steering lock

- Door locks

- Tail gate lock

- Glove compartment lock

Ignition key can be inserted and removed at the "LOCK" position only. If you open driver's door with the key left in the switch, warning buzzer will warn you of being robbed.

==========

So, it seems that my car has had either the ignition cylinder changed, or the glove box lock, door locks and tail gate lock. I'd guess the ignition has been changed. The ignition key is a Datsun key with an "N" and a keycode stamped in it. The second key I have, for everything else, is a copy (marked DA-21).

I didn't know that leaving my key in the car could warn me that I'm being robbed. Gotta love Nissyntax!