IGNORED

Stretching my wife's patience...

Arne

First, let me say that over the nearly 3 decades we've been married, my wife has been very tolerant of my car habit. I've learned (self-preservation) to take note of the little warning signs that indicate when I'm about to go too far. The warnings are starting to show tonight, I've got to chill out for a while.

My wife and I took a short road trip late this afternoon to pick up an engine. I got word of a supposedly low miles L24 about 50 miles away that I could get for $100. It was described as very low miles (although the current owner admitted she had no way to confirm that), and complete. I envisioned (from this lady's very un-car savvy description) a complete L24 with carbs, air cleaner and the works. It was supposed to be out of a '72 240Z, so I figured if it was true, the round-tops alone would be worth the $100, and anything else would be gravy. Worst case, I need a timing cover and flywheel for my current L28, so those two pieces would also be worth the $100 even if everything else was scrap. So I hooked the trailer to my wife's car, and we drove 50 miles to see what it really was. I found both more and less than I expected.

Yup, it was an L24 from '72 or '73. Has an E88 head, anyway. But it is far from the complete engine I had thought she described. It's not much more than a long block, actually. But it does have the flywheel and timing cover I need. And while I haven't pulled it apart yet, it does show indications of being fairly low miles, although I'm not counting on that. So the motor is definitely less than I had hoped it might be, but that didn't surprize me.

What did surprize me was when the lady told me about some other 240Z parts she found as well, that she would throw in with the engine if I wanted them. A miscellaeous bunch of engine and clutch parts for the most part, but also a pretty darn good pair of tail lights, and a rear hatch strut that appears to still have it's gas charge!

So I loaded it all up and brought it home. Almost feel guilty getting all that for $100, but not quite. But I can see that my wife is losing her sense of humor about all the Datsun stuff I'm randomly collecting. The garage is getting a bit cluttered. I'd better focus and make some positive headway soon. And probably slow down on buying parts I don't really have to have right now.

Perhaps it's time for a date night, too. We all gotta be careful not to let our Z cars become the most important special lady in our lives...(or special fella, for our female Z car owners!).

I just gave my wife a kiss and said goodbye as she heads off to work. Usually she's out the door by 6, but tonight she got a break and doesn't have to be there until 11. She's a nurse at a nearby hospital and works 3 nights a week. Her schedule works out great for me, I get three nights in the garage, no questions asked, no hurt feelings, etc...!!!!

Yup, we've got reservations for a nice dinner on Sunday. I agree, we have to treat them right. It took me a few years to figure it out, but it's lasted almost 28 years so far, I ain't about to screw it up now.

Yair Arne,

I know exactly what you're saying.

A couple of days ago I told my "She Who Must Be Obeyed 'Cause She's Always Right" that I was going to take "Precious" for a run as I haven't been able to even get behind the wheel for a couple of weeks after tearing the ligaments in my right knee. Her comment of; "Well, ... if you HAVE to", started the warning bells ringing, so that night, I cooked dinner AND cleaned up the mess I'd made. (Bloody crawler aren't I?).ROFL

The god of chance must have taken pity on me as the very next day, Barb found out about a handicraft week being held down in New South Wales at a town called Wagga Wagga. (That's truly it's name. Remember, we Aussies are a funny lot). Now, it's ONLY about 1500 kms from here in Central Queensland so, since I would like to be able to look forward to our 39th anniversary I said, "How about we hitch up the caravan and make a holiday out of it?".

Needless to say, I'm back in the good books again. (I said I was a bloody crawler).

There is one thing I have yet to bring to her notice. The craft weekend is in the middle of July. Now, I did my Army basic training, (boot camp to you lot), at the Kapooka Army Barracks which is just outside Wagga Wagga in the month of August and nearly suffered the same fate as a brass monkey.LOL

Do you think I should tell her now or just before we leave so she can pack her thermal underwear??ROFL

Rick.

:devious: :devious:

Oh, yair,

Congratulations on aquiring all those parts and bits and pieces.

You know, I once had a GF do a search on one of the forums I frequented, and she didn't like what she found. Nothing offensive in my mind, but she felt different. Apparently talking about your significant other, unless you have nothing but rosy things to say, with a bunch of guys you don't really know all that well is a serious offense/insult. So be careful what you post, it may come back to haunt you.

Bah, you guys act all tough but in reality you've all been severely whipped! :D

Just kidding, you always have to keep it in balance. The car is very nice and all that but in the end... it's just a car. As fun as driving is, nothing beats holding the one you love close to you. :)

wife is losing her sense of humor about all the Datsun stuff I'm randomly collecting. The garage is getting a bit cluttered.

As long as you aren't storing it in the house, I dont see waht she has to complain about.

Sounds like you need a shed. Sheds are off limits to females, except when they are bringing you a beer or something to eat.

I suppose you could open up the wardrobe and start complaining about all the shoes, or dresses she has as some sort of reverse psychology tactic.

with 2 cars <both 240z's> and one truck and hoping for another car <hopefully a cuda> I have the flower guy on speed dial and always keep a back up c note in the wallet for dinner when she is having a bad day and trips or gets dirty coming in from the garage , but fortunately my wife loves the effect the z cars have on me so i think she knows it worth it :)

Valentines day is the worst time of year. All its for is making hall mark and harshies rich, making old peaple horny and single peaple depressed.

But on the other hand my nightly sales are pretty high then to.... :)

Good Lord Bill!!! Hershey's. Harshies candy is......harsh!

Your sales will be good? I know my husband won't be taking me out for chicken on Valentines Day. That's about the funniest thing I've heard.

Vicky

I can relate, Arne. After 2 1/2 years of owning my car, the "free" weekends of the past 6 months have been devoted to getting the MatMobile running. I don't know if it's the extra hormones (she's 16 weeks pregnant) or what, but she seems to be increasingly irritated the more I go out to tinker.

Don't get me wrong, she likes older cars about as much as I do, in fact, she found this one for sale. It's all a balance, like AlfaDog stated. Now if I can just find a way to take work out of the balance equation and still get paid....