IGNORED

skyline on ebay!!

zeewhiz

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour you heard is true David...

After all how many people do you know that are going to pay $96000 and change for a brand new car that retails for $50000 in another country.

When the R34 was new and still for sale in japan it had a sticker price of approx 5600000yen, at the same time when Motorex finally finished their certification process I remember they were initially charging over $90K for a brand new R34... For the price of a new R34 they would sell you a used R32... I understand it couldn't have been cheap to take on DOT and EPA to get the certification but still.... that's a whole lot of money. Might as well get a used exotic for that kind of money, no?

-e

Motorex went belly-up, leaving a lot of people with no car and out thousands of dollars that they paid up front. I won't go into the details, but for a good understanding, check out the Skylines Downunder web site forums in the USA/Americas section.

There are a few Japanese dealers here who will help you locate and ship an older Japanese car that's not subject to DOT/EPA rules. Brian (Akwikz) on this forum recently brought one in from Japan. I bet he would be willing to share his experiences with you.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rumour you heard is true David...

After all how many people do you know that are going to pay $96000 and change for a brand new car that retails for $50000 in another country.

When the R34 was new and still for sale in japan it had a sticker price of approx 5600000yen, at the same time when Motorex finally finished their certification process I remember they were initially charging over $90K for a brand new R34... For the price of a new R34 they would sell you a used R32... I understand it couldn't have been cheap to take on DOT and EPA to get the certification but still.... that's a whole lot of money. Might as well get a used exotic for that kind of money, no?

-e

I hear ya!!! I would like to find some one who could import an older 72-76 Skyline for me at a much more realistic price.

RBMotoring also imports new Skylines. As far as I know they are stillin business and able to import. Their webiste says that they are also working on bringing in Silvias. They might be able to take a request for an older car.

Scott

I got a hold of the Japanese company that Brian went through for his KGC10 and they were very helpful and eager to help providing both details about their services, expected prices, and turnaround time. I was most impressed by the speed of their reply. I'll post their details tomorrow from work.

-e

Here's the details from the company based near to the port of Kobe (Osaka Prefecture) that helped Brian get his Skyline stateside... Based on how quickly the owner of the business replied to my inquiry and how thorough he was in his reply I have to admit I have a warm fuzzy feeling from these guys and would certainly consider them as a prime candidate to organize the details when I'm ready to order mine. I quote the email I received:

Dear Sir,

Shipping cost(Includes the local handling fee) US$1,500/1unit SKyline, From Kobe port japan to Long Beach port L.A. CAL U.S.A.

delivery date: booking takes usually a few weeks to a month or more, Vessel takes 2weeks from Kobe port to Long beach port, so total delivery schedule, a month to 2month or more.

This is Roll on Roll off vessel shipping cost.

Sales price:

Depends on the each vehicle conditions, modifications, etc...

It is a difficult for us to say the average market price, cause this kinds of car is accepted as "Collectible, vintage car "in japan.

Example price:

1971 KGC10 Skyline GT-X (Looks GT-R)

L20 with SOLEX 44 , race exahust headers, muflers, 2DR, Original interior, GT-R flare rear fender, front flare body work fender, RS watanabe special made alloy rims.

Please see the attached pics.

We sold this car on 2004, customer in San Diego, total , roughly US$15,000, almost 1&half year ago.

Now the market price is more expensive than the price on 2004, If we would find the similar condition car, then supply, The total price will be around US$17,000-19,000-, includes the shipping cost, Long beach.

We located in japan, Osaka prefecture... west part of japan.

Yasuhiro Totoki

MONKY'S INC

2-17-19,Mishimaoka,Ibaraki,

OSAKA5670021,JAPAN

TEL/FAX:+81-72-624-6153

E-mail: office@monkys.jp

post-1574-14150796798391_thumb.jpg

post-1574-14150796798675_thumb.jpg

post-1574-14150796798902_thumb.jpg

post-1574-14150796799106_thumb.jpg

If you want to get a feel for the prices of these cars in Japan, you can check the following web sites (all in Japanese, though). Goo and Car Sensor are full retail, dealer sold cars - usually the top car on the lot. Yahoo Japan is a mix of private owners, car dealers, and jokers.

http://autos.goo.ne.jp

www.carsensor.net

http://list1.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/26360-category.html

Dave

Glad I could help... If you get yours before I get mine, can I drive it around the block if I make it to IA?

-e

Unfortunately it probably won't happen as quick as I would like it to cuz the wife would not let me have two projects :stupid: (the Z for some reason doesn't bother her a whole lot???) :D I am probably still a couple of years before I can get one (maybe). This would be my second one. I have pictures of my first one here in the US back in the early 80's in my gallery.

David, as I reacall, yours had a clean original look. Don't see many like that.

Yes it was original. That one was only a GT. Even tho I can't afford a "true GT-R" I would now take a GT-X that someone made into a GT-R lookalike. I'm not proud. I ljust like the looks of the body styles of the 71-72 Skyline 2 doors and also the 73-76 2 door Skylines.