IGNORED

Rebello 2.7L stroker

rdefabri

All:

Still doing some information gathering, so my apologies. I have posted a few times about my desire to hop up my 1972 240Z, but I want to keep the stock block/head (numbers match).

I could just go with a nice cylinder head job, but I figured if I have the head off, perhaps some other mods are in order. I don't want to remove the block and have it rebored (unless I have to based on my inspection), but I thought of adding a L26/L28 crank/rods to get added displacement. I know it can be done, and not too much of a pain it appears from the Honsowetz books.

However, I noticed Rebello sells a 2.7L motor that obviously uses the L28D to get the extra displacement. The cost of the motor I think is around $5K, more than I want to part with. I think the head job would be around $2K, so could I get an L28D crank and slap that sucker in? What kind of rods would I need? Would the pistons need to be changed (worried about them exceeding the height)?

Any thoughts? Should I just stick to keeping it a 2.4L and just have the head done?

Maybe I am just lazy or sentimental.

If I pull it and store it, I'd go the Bryan Little route with the 280ZX motor with a P79 or P90 head. With my family (2 little girls and my wife) needing time, that's less of a realistic option.

I suppose even easier route (assuming block/pistons/rings are fine) is to just send the head to Sunbelt or Rebello and tell them to give the best they can while staying streetable.

Maybe I am just lazy or sentimental.

If I pull it and store it, I'd go the Bryan Little route with the 280ZX motor with a P79 or P90 head. With my family (2 little girls and my wife) needing time, that's less of a realistic option.

I suppose even easier route (assuming block/pistons/rings are fine) is to just send the head to Sunbelt or Rebello and tell them to give the best they can while staying streetable.

If you have the original numbers matching unmolested 2.4L engine, thats in good running order, I think you oughta store it, do you still have the original 4 speed that came with it?

Z prices are going up :) the more the original it is the better.

I did this (stored my good running original drivetrain) and put a Rebello 3.1L

in my Z and couldnt be happier, I've got tons of HP and torque, so much so I

really have to be careful with the gas pedal now!

Jackboxx,

Yes, my thinking exactly! Unfortunately, I don't have the original 4-spd, which caused me some lost nights of sleep!

That's why I figured some under hood changes were fine. I mean, a numbers matching car is still worth more than one that isn't, but generally won't be devalued much if the original engine is slightly modified.

Since I don't have the 4-spd, it will never be completely original, although I could always get one from eBay. I just figured the path of least resistance, so a modified original engine is the best of both worlds.

I will not butcher this thing, I am into keeping stuff as original as possible, but I do believe a slight massage of the lump isn't going to devalue it much.

hmmm,

well you could have the head worked, throw a mid level cam in while your at it, and talk to Dave (Rebello) about boring out your SU's...for better air/fuel flow to match your new head work. which will jump your carbs from the mid 200's cfm to the mid 300's cfm each. When they do the carb buildup, they rebuild them from the ground up, and look pretty damm close to a set of Ztherapy renewed carbs.

Carburetors & Parts

Big Bore 240Z SU 50mm - $850.00/pair (exchange).

http://www.rebelloracing.com/prod03.htm

Jackboxx,

Yes, my thinking exactly! Unfortunately, I don't have the original 4-spd, which caused me some lost nights of sleep!

That's why I figured some under hood changes were fine. I mean, a numbers matching car is still worth more than one that isn't, but generally won't be devalued much if the original engine is slightly modified.

Since I don't have the 4-spd, it will never be completely original, although I could always get one from eBay. I just figured the path of least resistance, so a modified original engine is the best of both worlds.

I will not butcher this thing, I am into keeping stuff as original as possible, but I do believe a slight massage of the lump isn't going to devalue it much.

Jackboxx,

Not sure I'd consider a 2.7L Rebello engine to be "slightly modified", and for some people looking for a "numbers matching, original 240Z", that 2.7L motor wouldn't qualify as "original".

But it's your car, and your money. Only you can decide what it is that you want to preserve about your car, and what you want to change.

BTW, since the 4 speed transmissions didn't have serial numbers, it's quite easy to find a correct trans for your car and no one (except you) would ever know that it wasn't the one that came on the car when it left the factory.

Montoya,

Yes, agreed, it's more than "slightly" modified. I'd have to call this something like a "resto-mod", it's original, but modified. I mentioned that the previous owner did some work, he also mentioned the person before him may have done some work (cam, and something else, but it's hard for me to tell).

Yes, I know I could get a 4-spd pretty easy. I have had this debate in my head -- do I perform a full on restoration or go the modified route....in this case the "resto mod" route. As the car stands now, it needs little work, but it had Recaro seats, and a new stereo/speakers, so there is some more cost to invest to get it to restored. It does need a paint job too, but that's a given regardless which way I go with the car.

I think Jackboxx's suggestion is best -- perhaps I'll leave the block as is and send the head/carbs to a Sunbelt or Rebello for some work and leave it at that. That will enhance the fun factor, but not modify the engine to the point of overdone.

5 years ago, I would have went with F54 block, etc., but I did buy this particular Z because the numbers match. Add to that all these "analysts" speculating that the 1970-1973 240Z is high on the collectibility scale, and you get my dilemma. Maybe I need a second Z to be the subject of my modification wishes.....;)

You will never be able to fully(?) enjoy wringing out the motor if in the back of your mind you have "matching numbers" on the brain. Pull the motor and build yourself a good balanced 2.8 with a little cam and some good carbs. Years ago I ground up restored a 69 RS Z/28, lots of time and money, never got all the fun out of as I was worried I might sling a rod out of the 302. In my mind it was a mistake to keep the original motor in a driver, it won't happen again. My 2 cents, Mike.

I'm with Mike on this one . Build / buy a done up motor and

install . A single turbo / single carb old school is fun too , beat

on it and save the worry of punishing the original stuff .

Of course you would have to beef the rest of the 'train .......:pirate:

Good points!

I should point out this isn't a "daily driver". It's no garage queen either, but I don't intend to use it for commuting or things like that.

That being said, it would probably be best to just restore it. The problem is the car has some mods already, so the temptation is to just go all the way.

I just saw a Hemmings Magazine that ranks the Z as collectible, amongst all the other rags. As more and more get modified, an original is tougher to come by. Therein lies my hesitation to go all out, but the expense of doing a total resto also has me seeing $$$. Gotta keep in mind I have an original XKE that shares some of these funds (as does my wife and kids).

Sounds like most people say to pull the engine, don't modify the current lump.