IGNORED

Dissapointed In My New Exhaust, Twice!!

Pennyman

I had a MSA 6-2 header and turbo exhaust system installed by a local Z shop. These guys restore Datsuns & build race cars, they know what they are doing. The installation turned out great.

A good exhaust shop can be hard to find. I've had problems with bad exhaust installations on other vehicles, not enough clearance between the bottom of the vehicle & the muffler, so that you get a nice rattle inside the car...annoying!

I did my own 3 inch mandrel bent exhaust on my Z (with turbo motor) for about 120 dollars. Used a freinds mig and went at it.

If you have a recipricating saw, a welder, the ability to see what you want which apparently you do, and the patience to put it together, then just do it yourself the right way the first time and be done with it.

Any Ideas how to fabricate muffler hangers? I guess I could use the metal rod type and weld them where I need them.

My plan is to allign the muffler EXACTLY where I want it, then try and get the tube to work. If it does, great. If not, I'll get one more tube bent (at yet another shop) and I'll be sure to tell them NOT to move the muffler.

I don't suppose it's too much to ask to tell a shop to bend a muffler between an already hung muffler and the catalytic converter? I mean, how could they screw that one up?? hahaha!

I'm anal about my cars also!! Anytime I have to go get a tire fix, exhaust done, anything if they dont let me stand there and watch there every move I take it someplace else!!! I had the same prob. getting exhaust put on my 1967 firebird, nobody wanted me around when they were doing the work. I understand it might make them nervous but this is my baby and noone is going to mess with it or take it out on a "test drive" when they are done!! My friend had is 2000 ss camaro, and my cousin had his 2001 trans am WS6 both at the same shop at the same time for minor repairs and I cought the shop guys on the out skirts of town with both cars racing them!!! Needless to say everything was repaired for free!! LOL and cousin chewed arse for a week!!!! So be carefull!!!

Pennyman, hope all goes well at the next shop :) With your friends welding skills, you shouldn't have any issues fabricating hangers ;-) I look forward to seeing pictures once you get your exhaust system complete.

"I'm anal about my cars also!!"

We all are man :) We wouldn't love our cars if we weren't :) I don't have to worry about watching someone as I do all my own work ;-) As for tires- Do like I do and what I told the poor guy with the 240Z to do next time. Put the Z on jack stands in YOUR garage, remove the wheels yourself, load them up in your daily driver and take them to the tire shop and drop them off since they have the expensive equipment to properly mount them and balance them and dispose your old tires. Then when they get done working on the tires only, pick them up and bring them back and install them on your Z :D

Instead of getting tubing bent unless it is mandrel bent you will be ending up with a small exhaust then what you want.

For instance, if you wanted to go with say a 2.25 inch exhaust, at the bends it would be 1.87 inches, using a press bend type machine.

That will be your bottleneck always unless you go with mandrel bends. You can buy them here at www.performancepeddler.com. He is very cheap on prices and doesnt charge for shipping via UPS ground.

Good to deal with and very personable.

Hrm... it's funny I've had just the opposite experience with a shop... Tires Plus nonetheless! ... All of the gearheads there seemed to hold my car in some kind of ethereal awe... Hell, the manager even came down to take a look at her and tell me what great shape she was in and how much potential he saw... "Yeah man, this could be totally cherry, wouldn't take that much work."

They even let me get up under the car while it was on the lift (this let me check for rust underneath and leaks... and... yes... I found both, but, 'can't expect perfection for a car pushing thirty, she's having her mid-life-crisis I think), and I was able to stand on a platform in the garage and watch them work until until they lowered it back down to the ground.

I'd take my car there more often if they didn't charge so much... (I had a coupon that day...)

So yeah, I trust Tires Plus... and there's this other place I've been meaning to try out that always has loads of old collectibles through it (walking up to it, there was an old Chevelle in the parking lot, and I saw a 70's 'vette on a lift inside).

Wholesale Tube Bending in Vista CA did an unbelieveable, top quailty job on both my Roadster and my Z...And the Z was NOT easy to do. Very reasonable too, and they let me work with the fabricator to get it just the way I wanted it done on both cars.

I cant say enough good things about these guys.

Seems a bit pricey if you ask me. I'd expect a header to come with it for that price.

The Nissan Comp header for that car was an additional $600. For the vast majority of Z owners the price is stupid. For the few Vintage racing, ITS, and HybridZ guys I've built exhausts for, the price is cheap (well, maybe not "cheap.")

The Nissan Comp header for that car was an additional $600. For the vast majority of Z owners the price is stupid. For the few Vintage racing, ITS, and HybridZ guys I've built exhausts for, the price is cheap (well, maybe not "cheap.")

LOL yea not cheap but worth every penny...I think I paid somewhere close to

$480+tax for mine and drove to gardena to get it from the warehouse.

(1-5/8ths, chrome)

is betamotorsports your shop John? Sounds like yours is close to mine in Whittier