IGNORED

Original Keys

Spieg16

yeah, the ones like your original are not available anymore. :rolleyes:

seriously, Nissan changed the design at some point in time, several times.

Early 240Z's had one sided keys, and some had different placement of the gooves along the shank of the key.

There are keys with different shaped keyheads (at least 3 three that I am aware of) throughout the years of S30's sold in the USA.

post-5874-14150796635739_thumb.jpg

Early 240Z's had one sided keys, and some had different placement of the gooves along the shank of the key.

There are keys with different shaped keyheads (at least 3 three that I am aware of) throughout the years of S30's sold in the USA.

The earliest key that I have seen is the one-sided key that looks like a Volkswagen Beetle's - oblong, with one side bigger than the other. Montoya_fan01's picture shows the progression of the keys shapes from left to right, going from round to rectangular to that "new" shape.

There are also left-hand and right-hand keys, depending on which side the groove is cut.

From what I've experienced, the keys are not interchangable. I bought the later key blank from Nissan, only to find out that it would not work on my car which had the rectangle shaped head. The grooves look very similar, but they don't match up. Luckily, the key shop lady told me this before cutting the keys and I was able to sell the blanks.

My first Datsun was a 73 Cedric 330 GX 2600 (260C) and it has the rounded key... i still have one of them. Then i changed the gas cap and it had the square one ..... now the key of my ZX is completly different.. (by the way another thing that the Cedric shared with the Zs was the wood shift knob... awesome!!!)

Camilo

There is a great wealth of information about keys on this site. Do a search.

There are two styles of keys for the series one chassis (1969 - 1971). Long and short. There are two styles of door and deck keys also. Here are some pictures.

post-4148-14150796637566_thumb.jpg

post-4148-14150796637663_thumb.jpg