IGNORED

my engine update

khughes

RB26 has a factory rev limit of 8000, and is basically built from race bits. It's in a different league to the 20's, 25's and 30's (RB30 was an Australianised version of the RB, which was only SOHC and had the power delivery of a tractor to satisfy the Australian taxi market).

All have extremely tough bottom ends, and are capable of massive power without having to open them up.

Kent,

A rear cage will give you a little extra rigidity, but won't come anywhere near a full cage. You can strengthen the shell by seam welding the engine bay (wherever there are spot welds, just stitch weld along the join). This is mainly done around the strut towers, and chassis rails. Also a strut brace that ties to the firewall helps to stiffen the engine bay nicely. The engine bay is normally the weakest point in any car.

I agree re: full vs half cage but if the law states you can't then you can't. So do the engine bay seam work, add a triangular strut tower brace (to the firewall and across the engine) and cap the existing frame rails if possible with 11-12 guage steel. A metal shop can bend a set up for you. Have them go from in front of the firewall to a rear body crossmember. Good Luck...

Hmm this should have been posted alot earlier but anyway...

RB26 is 280BHP like all cars from Japan, well top power. But depending on which RB26 they can be upto about 330BHP ish, RB25 is 250BHP stock I think or there abouts.

Erm to start with I recomend front and rear strutbraces. Seem or stitch welding would help, but only do about 2cm at a time then go to the other end and side of the car, to let the previous cool down to prevent warping.

Do the C110's have a firewall behind the rear seats? The C210 does, may be an idea to add one, or a kind of X brace instead?

Also a bar to join the front end of the 2 chassis rails, where the front valance is would help?

Yea like I say the RB26 has over 300BHP stock when you put them on a dyno, so don't always believe all cars only have 280BHP stock :)

Basicly if you put a new exhaust system, air filters and up the boost a little you have your self 400BHP for just over a grand.

thanks guys...

so to summarise, i should look into:

Roll Cage - Full or half

Seam weld engine bay

Seam weld strut towers, chassis rails

triangular strut brace between struts and firewall

Cap chassis frame rails (11-12gauge steel)

Brace between front of chassis rails

x-brace between rear struts, create firewall between cabin and rear

possibly reinforce chassis rails

possibly reinforce seat cross rails

all sounds $$$ :) guess i should start making some metal worker mates!

Yep the RB26 is a fantastic engine, i miss my R33 GTR :( this R25 hybrid is just going to have to do me now! (although it will probably easily end up costing me the price of an R32 GTR)