IGNORED

Suspension Paint and Prep Questions

zack_280

I washed everything well, then used a rust-killing primer. Then I put on satin black rustoleum with a BRUSH. This should work for a very long time. I think taking it all down to metal is going overboard, but it's your car. If I was restoring a car to win the Gold Medalian, sure maybe; otherwise what's the point?

Hi Enigma, you may not want to take the differential in to be media blasted. You would run the risk of having the blast media get inside. Definitely not a good thing... Having the other suspension parts blasted is a good way to go, though. The $140 you paid sounds like a fair price, and I'm sure it's nice to get the parts back clean and ready to paint. I cleaned my suspension parts the old fashioned way, lots of elbow grease!

Hi Bryan, my thoughts are that the main thing is to properly prepare the parts for paint. Any skimping and the part will look bad, the paint will peel off sooner rather than later, or worst case, the paint won't stick. Cleaning a part to bare metal is the only way to reveal any rust that may be hiding underneath.

Ultimately, it's all a personal decision anyway. How much time, effort & bux to devote to it. Me, I'm the kind of fellow who finds it relaxing and enjoyable to spend the time scraping off the old gunk, washing parts, sanding & prepping, etc... To me the effort pays off when the part looks as good as new with a fresh coat of paint.

I can not wait to take it in for the suspension alignment. When the guy gets it on the rack, he will know! I do not think I will ever drive this Z when the road is wet. It is prettier on the underside then it is on the upside! (Kinda)

Jack, that looks awesome. I like the combination of black, silver and red!

Thanks..Ken. That's the result of my latent desire for the Arizona Z chromaloy control arms and billet aluminum mustache bar. Funny... how it works... my desires and budget are all to often miles apart.

Wow Jack that looks amazing. Nice job. I wish I had the resources to do the whole bottom of the car like that. I guess I'll just have to settle on the suspension components.

Thanks...Enigma. Resources are a part of it but it is mostly grinding,scraping and elbow grease to get the bottom cleaned and prepped. If and when I do this on another one it will be media blasted.