IGNORED

COSMO Racing Adjustable Coil Over Kit

bemmerguy714

It's not true that they are bolt on. This was discussed on hybridz and my understanding is that they send out springs that are more than 500 in/lbs. Those are amazingly ridiculous spring rates for anything like a stock Z. You don't need dual springs to "reduce the common jumping noises" because jumping noises aren't common with coilovers. The real reason to use two springs is so that you can get a progressive spring rate. The thing is, if you want coilovers, you probably don't want progressive springs because they are more of a comfort thing than a racing thing. The product is not great.

Avoid the dorifto mistakes of extremely stiff spring rates and useless helper springs and get your coilovers from Ground Control, or Modern Motorsports. Or if you want to save some money start looking for the parts individually from a circle track racing shop, like Pegasus or Behrents or Coleman Racing or Pit Stop USA. You can buy the springs, hats, threaded collars, etc cheaper through those types of places, although my understanding is that the Ground Control and Modern Motorsports stuff is the highest quality. I've had the GC stuff on my car for 8 years. Never had any jumping noises. Never needed double springs to "enforce" my car's handling either.

There are some odd looking parts in that kit, hard to tell what they are. Perhaps the spring support collars are located on the strut tube by grub screws, which would explain what looks like an Allen key in the picture. Bit of a dodgy setup if that is so.

Anyway, as has been said, don't touch it. Too many unknowns.

• 3 months later...

I've been looking at these on ebay, but noone from hybridz really knows much about them either. Anyone get a set yet?? I was wondering what I should go with for my v-8 z, I want something for performance and racing, and to lower the z any suggestions whats the best and has good quality?? thanks

• 1 year later...

I was looking into the cosmo set-up as well. I've been talking with one of the cosmo reps and they are now offering 280lbs springs for there kits. One thing I realized while reading the posts here is that while 448 rates would be extremely high for a single spring set-up doesn't having a dual spring set-up affectively cut the spring rate in half? So the 448 lbs spring rate for each spring would feel more like a 224 lbs for the total assembly?

If you have two 448 lbs/in spring sitting on top of each other and apply 448 lbs to the top one it will compress by one inch. The bottom one will also compress by one inch as it is also under the same 448 lb force. So now 448 lbs compresses the assembly by two inches and gives you a usable 224 lb/in spring rate. Make sense?

So their new 280 lbs/in springs would act like a comfortable 140 lbs/in spring rate?? I may get a set just to look them over. I'd get the 280 lbs/in kit though.

There is no question the ground Control set is a known quality set-up. If money is tight and you want to experiment (be a guinea pig) go with the 280lbs/in set-up from Cosmo.

I think I'm ordering a set to trial and review. If they suck I'll be brutally honest. I'll post the findings and a tech tip in Blue's Tech tips.

If you have two 448 lbs/in spring sitting on top of each other and apply 448 lbs to the top one it will compress by one inch. The bottom one will also compress by one inch as it is also under the same 448 lb force. So now 448 lbs compresses the assembly by two inches and gives you a usable 224 lb/in spring rate. Make sense?

So their new 280 lbs/in springs would act like a comfortable 140 lbs/in spring rate?? I may get a set just to look them over. I'd get the 280 lbs/in kit though.

Somehow that logic just doesn't sound right to me. If the two 448 lb/in springs are directly on top of each other, wouldn't they act as one spring with each actually sharing the load 50/50 as in 224/224=448? To arrive at what you're suggesting, I believe you would have to apply 448lb x 2 = 896lb.

If I remember right John Coffey ran 400# springs in his 240Z and that was a very stiff ride, in a race car. In a street car it would be unbearable. I'm running 275 Front and 250 Rear with poly bushings, delrin/AL control arm bushings, and a ride height of just under 6 inches. For many the ride is a bit harsh. With 400# springs I'd need a new kidney.

The real question is why are they selling these coil-overs with such a high spring rate. They should be able to offer different rates for different applications.