IGNORED

Jet Hot Headers

Marty Rogan

I just found out that you can order headers through Jet Hot coatings, with the coating already applied.

The 240Z header is made by Hooker. I am putting an '82 ZX L28 into my 240Z, which they list as being made by Pacesetter.

Has anybody out there used a Pacetter? Are the any good? Fitting issues?

TIA,

Marty

Could be, I don't have any headers on my 240 yet. But in decades of car tinkering I've heard of bad fit issues with most headers, many brands and for many different car makes. I've always assumed that all headers suffer from fit issues, that way I'm not disappointed when I have to fight with them.

I've run into trouble with headers on my 240Z. I purchased a Pacesetter header from Victoria British that was supposed to work on a L24 engine; however, the header ports were round whereas the ports on the head were square. It would have worked, but my mechanic told me that the gasket would burn up after a few thousand miles.

So, he suggested a 6 into 2 header from MSA. It had the proper port shape for the head on my L24. But, I didn't spend the extra money for the jet hot coating.

I've run into trouble with headers on my 240Z. I purchased a Pacesetter header from Victoria British that was supposed to work on a L24 engine; however, the header ports were round whereas the ports on the head were square. It would have worked, but my mechanic told me that the gasket would burn up after a few thousand miles.

So, he suggested a 6 into 2 header from MSA. It had the proper port shape for the head on my L24. But, I didn't spend the extra money for the jet hot coating.

I can understand the necessity of match the correct port shape.

How did the MSA header fit. Also, how well is it holding up?

Marty

I have the MSA 6-1 header and the tubes were HORRIBLY crimped where they went into the flange. I actually took a little bit of time to port the header because it was so bad. I also had to weld some on the #6 hole because there just wasn't any metal to seal to the gasket there as delivered. Although I despise my header, I will say that I think these problems would have been minimal if it were a round port head. No crimping of the tubes in that case...

My suggestion is that if you have a square port head you should spend the extra money and get the Nissan Comp header.

I'm not sure if the 6-2 header I got from MSA needed any work to make it fit better or not. I had the header shipped directly to the shop, since my Z was already there and the carbs, intake & exhaust manifolds were already removed. The 6-2 header was the one my mechanic recommended, and he does a lot of performance mods on Z cars, and builds racers, too. Hopefully he didn't steer me wrong! So far it appears to be holding up well.

You simply ordered (or received) the wrong header then. There were only two heads for the Z that had round ports and they were both on L28 engines (the N47 and the P79 as I recall).

Those looking for headers may also want to consider Arizona Z Car.