IGNORED

No firewall Vin

NovaSS

.....mine does not have a firewall vin, Its a early Fairlady Z. Is this normal?

No, it's not normal. But I'm convinced that it IS there, if you know exactly where to look.......

NO! it should be stamped ito the firewall near the Master Vac.

Exactly. Stock location on an RHD car is just above the half-round bead rolled into the firewall sheetmetal, right by the metal bracket that holds the vacuum hose for the Master Vac.

The vin should be on the tag one the fenderwell, the ds door post, the dash tag, and the firewall, and all should match!

As a Japanese home-market car, it would not have left the Factory with a door-jamb tag or a dash tag. The only two VIN locations on the car are on the firewall sheetmetal and the 'fenderwell' plate.

Try the opposite side of the car, under the hose. The brake booster is on the opposite side for US models, but the VIN may be in the same location (the passenger side in your case).

No. VIN number is always on the drivers side, whether its LHD or RHD.

No it should be there IIRC - sure it's not covered with bog/primer or something?

I agree. I think its there but you aren't seeing it. It will be right under those hoses and wires in your first photo, and is probably half-filled with paint and crud.

If you get down to bare metal and its still not there, only then you will have a mystery on your hands.........

Nope thats pretty much spot on where the vin should be stamped, maybe a tiny bit more to the right. No plate there just the numbers stamped into the metal.

Behind the hoses and wires, above the clip that holds the brake booster vacuum line, above the horizontal ridge, like in the photo Alan posted. Just about on the same level with the screw hole that holds the windscreen water squirter thingy.

Maybe this photo of my project car will help?

For compairsion here is the VIN stamp on a HLS firewall 1971 Z. Looks to be pretty close to the same location on either car. (just under that wire harness clip.)

Looks like the car was repainted red? and they attempted to paint the engine compartment too, and perhaps "glazed" [bondo] over the the numbers prior to painting?

mastercylinderarea6lr.jpg