IGNORED

engine removal

clutch07182

im helping a friend of mine take out his blown(as in ruiined) l28 and replacing it with another what all do i need to disconnect remove b4 i can do this. and where are the best place to attach the engine hoist chains. i have already removed fuel lines and belts radiator line and all the obvious things. do i need to pull it with the tranny still attached??? any input would be apreciated. also anylinks to helpful websites would be great :smoke:

I'd also pull the fan, radiator, wiring (starter, oil pressure sending unit, alternator, coolant temp sending unit, distributor, etc...). Be sure to label everything. If you have a digital camera, take lots of pictures, they will help jog your memory! What kind of tranny, auto or manual? Drain it if it's an auto and remove all wiring. If it's a manual disconnect the clutch plumbing. Make sure the shift linkage is disconnect for either one. Drop the drive shaft & pull the engine & tranny togther. Remove the carbs, intake & exhaust manifolds. Not essential, but easier to manouever without them on. If the exhaust manifold is left on, then disconnect the pipe from the manifold.

I use a leveling sling. I connected one end to the rear of the head using an exhaust manifold mounting stud. The other end was connected to the front of the head using one of the AC compressor mounting holes & a heavy duty bold. A leveling sling will help you tilt the engine & tranny as you lift them from the car.

I unhooked the radiator and and pulled it, unhooked all wires and hoses. I then disconnected the drive shaft and jacked up the tranny a bit to hold it up and took off the tranny mount. I then took off motor mounts and about 25mins after starting my friend and I had an engine and tranny sitting on the floor.

• 13 years later...

Room for storage or room for maneuvering?

There is nothing to hold the transmission up if it's disconnected from the engine.  You'll have to rig up some cables or rope and hang it from the hood latch or let it sit on the ground underneath the car, or on blocks under the car.  If you want to work on it you'll have to raise the car high enough to slide it out.  Those are some reasons that it's actually easier to pull both at once.

If you pull both, you can always slide half of the trans back under the car for storage, or stick the starter bolts back in and stand it on end.  Takes up about half the space.  The bolts are to keep the input shaft off of the ground.

9 minutes ago, BLZ71 said:

What I meant,  I'm not sure I have enough length in the garage to maneuver  the engine, puller & tranny altogether, but my wife said just open the ...... garage door.

Yes what she said. LOL Roll the car part way out, then pull the drive train. Rearrange and roll the car back in.