Brake pedal travel???? - Wheels & Brakes - Classic Z Car Club Skip to content

Brake pedal travel????

Featured Replies

I have installed '94 Corvette calipers/rotors on my '71 Z. I have put in a larger MC, a 15/16". The brakes work very well and really stop with very little pressure. The problem I am having is long pedal travel. The pedal goes very near the floor before the brakes work. It does not help to pump them up. They do not pump up. They work well on the first stroke so there is not air in the lines. What is going on? It feels like I have too much travel in the pedal.

Sounds to me as though even the 15/16" master cylinder doesn't have enough volume for calipers of that size. It takes so much fluid to fill all those pistons that you have to press the pedal a long ways.

  • Author

I have considered this fact but wonder if these calipers move that much fluid. I will check out the brake pedal and see if I can gain any stroke. I does travel a long way. Maybe I need to fabricate a longer rod from the pedal to the MC? I will check it all out tomorrow. I have been busy with the camshaft getting this thing to run. Now that it is running, I can start fine tuning these kinds of things. :cross-eye

  • Author

I adjusted the linkage and have the longest throw available. It is still too long a stroke. I will start looking for a 1" cylinder for the Z.

S
Sponsored
Advertisement
Go Ad-Free
No ad showing? Ads help support ClassicZcars. If you use an ad blocker, please consider allowing ads on this site or Go Ad-Free.

Loren,

Steve at Z Therapy knows someone with a Patrol. I think he lives in Salem. You might be able to look at it to see if it will work.

  • Author

I found out the Patrol is a single piston M/C. I am looking for a Stanza, now.

  • Author

I ordered a Pathfinder M/C. It is 1" and is designed for 4-whl disc brakes. I will plumb it in and see how it works.

where do i get this 15/16" mc that you are talking about ive been looking for more pressure .

reegs, You get more pressure from a smaller master. More volume from a larger one.

15/16" is stock on 280ZX cars, at least 81's.

Create an account or sign in to comment

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.