IGNORED

JC Whitney door seals

Ed

When I finished my car I used the body seal "kit" that's available through just about everyone (MSA, VB, Too Intense). And as we all already know the door seals are a B!+@#. I've done just about everything except wait a year. It's actually been about 3 months and they are still tight.

Well, at this past convention I spoke with several people who used a universal door seal from JC Whitney . They told me it was an easy fit and the door closed right the first time. When I looked at the seal they looked almost like the OEM factory style. If you didn't know they were from JC Whitney then you wouldn't even notice.

So my question is, has anyone here tried these? Any feedback? And is the seal in the above link the correct one?

Thanks,

Ed

For the price it would be worth it to find out. Sure looks like the original....

At a second look they have a number to call for a sample, when I get to the point of replacing mine I'm going to call, I still have my originals which are OK but not great so I at least have something to compare to.

• 2 weeks later...

I got the free sample and I like it. Don't know if you "factory-original" guys will think it is a good match to the original... but I like the stuff and will pull it around both doors and inside the rear hatch... just for a better seal and to keep the doors from rattling at 130pmh! I just ordered 45ft. of the stuff. Thanks for the tip Ed!

If I order from them are they going to start sending me their stupid catalogs every three weeks again? It took two moves and several years to get off their mailing list. There must be another place to get this stuff from!

this looks like the stuff my PO put on mine, same profile. doors and hatch closed ok. i replaced the hatch seal with VB since i didn't like the look of this replacement. not enough lip to cover the ends of the interior vinyl and i wanted to make sure no air/exhaust fume leakage. i can't comment on air leakage on doors (not on the road yet) but upon detailed inspection with light, it seems to give a complete seal.

bart

Is someone able to post a picture of what the original 240-Z door seals look like; the ones which are glued down to the keeper strip.

If someone had some off the door it would be good to see the shape of the section used for both the rubber and the keeper strip.

If anyone can help out it would be appreciated.

Thanks

Joseph

I held by breath and installed the door seals on my '73 Z . I bought the kit built by Progressive. They went in great and both doors close great . I do need to close them firmly but I dont have to slam them . After all that I have heard about the after market seals I expected the worse. All the seals for he entire car have been top notch and fit vary well. I have no complaints. Gary

I used the JC Whitney door seal material on my 320. Try finding the original ones for that! I know it's not a Z but I installed them in 1994 and they still don't leak. Like Gary says, I have to close them firmly, even after 11 years, but I don't have to slam them.

I held by breath and installed the door seals on my '73 Z . I bought the kit built by Progressive. They went in great and both doors close great . I do need to close them firmly but I dont have to slam them . After all that I have heard about the after market seals I expected the worse. All the seals for he entire car have been top notch and fit vary well. I have no complaints. Gary

Isn't it Precision that makes weatherseals and Progressive that sells insurance?