IGNORED

Cold Air Intake--NOT a "fifteen minute install"

KDMatt

That's great we have a couple people working on this, I'm sure it will yeild some interesting results. BTW I like the size of that K&N filter on the end of that tubing, I was wondering if you had the pt.# for it, hehehe :classic:

I can still make the 2.5 inch tubing work, but each end has to be flanged or "swedged" out to the size of the filter and the boot for the AFM. I'm gonna look for some plastic soon too.

What about actually making a tube out of fiberglass? Use a piece of flexible ducting as a template, bend it to the right angle, then wrap it in some smooth duct tape to get the outside the right dimension, then lube it up with vasaline and wrape the entire thing with a couple layers of fiberglass, then when dry, pull out the flexible tubing.

Is that an option? I just went to the hardware store and had little luck. What do you guys think?

Also, I do think you're local car parts store might be able to special order 2 3/4" exhaust tubing (what the MSA unit is made of), but it will be more expensive due to extra shipping. I might go and check out the price for the special ordered stuff, but it's not definite yet.

Hmm, just came back from church...got some good ideas while there, hehehe.

Screw the special order 2.75" stuff, I think you'd be able to get 3" exhaust tubing to work (can never have enough air, right?).

The AFM end will have to pounded repeatedly with a hammer to scrunch the tube down about a 1/8th of an inch in order to squeeze itself into the boot. (this will be the hardest part of the process I think). Then, I'm going to call K&N and ask if they have a filter much like the one the MSA unit uses (pt.# RU-3610) but with a 3" outlet. In theory this should all work.

This is still a brainstorm guys, hehe. Talk it up.

Hmm, I don't think this stuff really applies to the carbureted models, unless you were bulding a custom carb intake system to suck air in from in front of the radiator.

I know muffler shops can widen or "swedge" the tubing, but I don't know about shrinking it.

Just ordered pt.# 289-42323 off of Jegs! it's the best price I could find for a mandrel bent piece of tubing, and I'll let you guys know how it works and stuff too once it's here.

Looks like I have 12 inches of length to deal with too! I can make it pretty much as long as I want. We'll see though.

Yes it is a U-bend. I am planning on cutting it to the proper lengths. First in half to create tow L shapes, then trimming the straight section down.

For $35, I can't imagine the quality being very high, or the filter being a REAL K&N. As a matter of fact, the picture used for that auction is taken from a cardomain photo, and the intake in that photo is the MSA unit!

Second pic down:

Here