IGNORED

Longer Wheel Studs

speedyblue

Where in Australia can I get some longer wheel studs for my 240Z? I will ring around in the morning, but if I can get a head start from here it would be helpful.

Also, I realise I will have to separate the front hubs and discs to replace the studs, but can I replace the rears without pulling the stub axles out? I'm still running the stock rear drums. I don't want to pull the stub alxes, but if I have to, I have to.

Thanks for the help

Scott

...can I replace the rears without pulling the stub axles out? I'm still running the stock rear drums. I don't want to pull the stub alxes, but if I have to, I have to.

Sorry, mate (Are Yanks allowed to say that?). I'm pretty sure you'll have to pull the stub axles out--or at least part of the way out. I did this recently and the only way to go is to use a shop press--don't bother trying to bang on them.

I paid $176 for a set of long wheel studs to suit the 240Z. They were the cheaper option as well....$11ea or if you want the studs with zinc plating (or something like that - can't remember exactly) $23ea. I've been sitting here for 10minutes trying to remember the name of the place that I got them from but it's not coming to me, I can't even remember the exact length - I do remember having to trim them down a little.... I will have a look for the receipt tomorrow and let you now.

BTW, unfortunately you do have to remove the stub axles to get the studs in/out.

2nd gen RX7 studs have the same knurl diameter but are 12 x 1.5mm. The factory stud is probably ~15mm longer than the stock stud, so that might work. If you need a really long stud ARP makes a stud for the RX7, also fits a Camaro. The ARP part number is ARP-100-7708, and the threaded portion is 2.5 inches or ~62mm.

If you have Nissan wheels with the Nissan lugs, Toyota makes a lug nut that works and has the 12 x 1.5 thread pitch. I got some off of a 4 Runner.

I happened to have a stock stud and a RX7 stud handy today. The stock stud has about 15/16" or 24mm of thread showing as installed in the hub. The RX7 stud was 1 3/4" or about 45mm showing. So I was a little off before. The RX7 is more like 13/16" or 21mm longer.

I only need 5-6mm longer than a stock 240Z stud. I don't suppose any of the other models has slightly longer studs? Most seem to be around 20mm longer, which is a pain. I would have to cut them all down.

Of course I got rid of my 280zx parts car just 2 weeks ago, so I can't go check that unfortunately Always the way.