IGNORED

Help removing the the rear suspension?

I'm going to drop the whole rear assembly from my 240Z. The reason is to relocate the diff, all new bushes, CV conversion, lowering springs, new struts, dropping the fuel tank for new hoses and test fitting a 240SX fuel tank (just curious). Anyhow, I understand the basics but if anyone has accomplished this (and possibly hit snags) I'd appreciate pointers. For example, is there a logical step by step method to prevent damage to me or the car? State the obvious too. You can't have too much information!

Remove the drive shaft, then the differential/halfshafts. (and disconnect the brake lines and e-brake cable as suggested). That will leave you roughly in the configuration shown here. It's fairly simple after that. Support the bottom of the strut assemblies somehow and remove the bolts that hold the inner ends of the control arms to the frame/rear control arm mount. Remove the nuts holding the strut assembly to the car and the strut assembly and control arm comes off as one piece (well 2 of them). Then get out the sledge hammer you'll need to remove the rear spindle pins if you want to completely disassemble it. :)

I don't think I needed a book to do mine. Just take a good look and you'll pretty much see what need to come off next. The front it a little more tricky in my opinion because of the steering components.

Michael

Thanks for the insight. My car is in exceptional condition other than the floor pans being pushed up a little from floor jacks(?) as a 70's BRE car way back in California. I've built a spindle pin puller for the task. There is little, if any, rust so I hope the removal will be relatively painless for me and the car. I'm the third owner (I think) and the car appears to have rarely seen rain. It was mostly restored and kept garaged over the last 21 years.

• 5 weeks later...

Only the need to replace the bushings would dicate pin removal. I need to clarify some bad info about my Z. It was not a BRE car as confirmed by Carl Beck. It was modified and raced by someone outside of the BRE community. The pieces installed were BRE inspired, Interpart, Mulholland, and early NISMO. It is still a great car just without the history.