IGNORED

Turbo anyone?

I'm curious to see if anyone has turboed an L24 here. I have really been looking into it. I know how to turbo fuel injected cars but would carburated cars be alot harder? If anyone has done this please let me know. I need a write up please.

Matt :)

Matt,

I turbo charged my L28 in a 260Z 2+2 a few years back (R.I.P. 260Z!)

The setup included the following:

F54 block.

P90 head.

240Z cam.

Flat top pistons (standard).

Chrome Molly rings.

Standard rods.

Standard bearings.

T03/T04 hybrid turbo.

Twin 1.75" CD Zenith stromburg carbs.

42mm wastegate.

Water/methanol injector that work of a pressure switch in the manifold.

3" mandrel bent exhaust.

Running between 17-19psi boost.

Electronic ignition.

Holley blue fuel pump.

The setup worked very well, plenty of power but not as reliable or efficient as a fuel injected turbo which is what I'm working on at the moment.

Let me know if you want more info on the setup.

Marc.

Just do a turbo swap form a 280ZX-buy a complete running car (Rust buckets please apply in full force) and move everything over-it is the least expensive way-if you are shopping correctly.

Will

My MadZ-gotta love those door panels...thanks for the pictures of how.

Hi Will,

I agree with you! It would be much easier and cheaper. Unfortunately we don't have that option in Australia as the 280ZX didn't have the option of turbo here. :(

Matt, if you can, and you are willing, do the swap with the 280ZX turbo.

Just do a turbo swap form a 280ZX-buy a complete running car (Rust buckets please apply in full force) and move everything over-it is the least expensive way-if you are shopping correctly.

Will

Hey Will,

Won't there be a problem in a 240z because of fuel delivery? I mean, the existing fuel system in the 240z may not keep up with the requirement. I thought about doing this to mine, but, the work to get a new tank and lines installed wasn't worth it to me.

I have a complete EFI system out of a 280z and was considering a swap. But, I decided to keep my triple Mikuni's instead.

I am installing a fuel cell from Summit Racing. Have not started on it yet b/c my turbo engine still requires a whole gasket rebuild and the timing kits from VB. (Victoria British) I am also looking into doing steel braided lines for fuel and oil (to the turbo) and the Mega Squirt ECU. Hybridz.org has a big writeup on it. Check it out, looks pretty cool. It eliminates the need for the turbo AFM.

Yes, it is an exact bolt in. You would have to cut into the left front fender well to mount the AFM. As for boost, you would be dealing with 5-7psi, unless you were to upgrade all the parts with aftermarket. Even tough the stock turbo never came with a blow-off valve, I would get one anyway. Do some resurch on Hybridz.org in the "Nissan L6" or the "Turbo" forums. Good luck.