IGNORED

How Close Are Our VIN #'s

Zrush

Is this still looking at being made into a database?

Here's mine...

1972 Datsun 240Z #HLS30-47945, mfd: 9/71, color: 918 Orange, Engine still original #L24 058290, 4 spd tranny and rear end are also original.

Originally sold at Jack Ingram Motors Inc. Montgomery, AL 02-18-72 and had made it's way to California by the end of the year.

Nate

Mine is Production date 8/70 HLS30-08128

Sold on 9-26-1970 in Mesa California by Terry Allen Auto's Inc. El Catun. Does he still excist?

That would be El Cajon, Ca. I don't think the dealership still exists but it is listed in my Fall 1977 Datsun Dealer Directory:

Terry Allen Autos, Inc.

720 E. Cajon Boulevard

El Cajon, Ca. 92020

(714) 442-9211 (018A)

The dealership CoastGuardZ mentions is also listed in the same directory:

Jack Ingram Motors, Inc.

227 Eastern By-Pass

Montgomery, Alabama 36109

(205) 277-5700 (908)

Remember these are 1977 listings. I found this directory in a junkyard a couple of years ago.

EDIT: Nate, the dealership you mention still exists. Same city but at a different location. Nowdays he sells Audi, Mercedes Benz, Porsche, Volkswagen, Volvo, as well as Nissan.

Now I'm confused.

Zguitar71 has a build date of 1/71 and a VIN of -23876.

jmark has a build date of 2/71 and a VIN of -22975.

My car has a build date of 2/71 and a VIN of -23766.

How does Zguitar71 have an earlier build date and a higher VIN?

I could be dead wrong but my best guess, the cars are built before the VIN is given to the car. So the car is not given a VIN the second it rolls off the line but at a later time. Our cars could have been built only weeks apart, they sit at the factory lot and get VIN's put on them by a the order they are gotten to not the order of production, then they are shipped to the place they are slated to go to.