IGNORED

wide wheels again :D

Just wondering..

i was planning on trying to get a set of RS Watanabe's in F16x8(0), R16x8.5(-6) as according to watanabe, this is the max for the KPGC110

now, i figured that since i had the guards, that those would be fine, but now i realise that the KPGC110 had a different rear offset to the KPGC110, so will that through out my idea? the wheels have to be legal as it has to go through engineering

according to the site, the GC110 has F/R 14x6.5(+14.5) and the KPGC110 has F14x8(-6) R14x8.5(-13) out of the factory (well i assume that is what it is according to the table) http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/index2.htm

Kent

Do you know precisely what 'legal' entails? According to what I could find:

- OVERALL diameter of tyre+rim must not exceed +25mm or -26mm

- Rims and tyres may not protrude past any bodywork when viewing from above

- Tyres may not be more than 1.3x wider than vehicles widest optional tyre

- Track (from centre of wheel to centre of wheel on same axle) may not be increased more than 26mm

Now, as far as I know for the '74 240K the widest tyre was 175. That means 225 is the widest you could go... You could probably argue 185, and that's still only 235 - which would fit on the 8.5 and according to Yokohama you can fit that onto the 8.5 without too much stretch.

I've got 14x7.5 front and 14x9 rear and with about zero camber they fit just under the flares. When I lowered it the negative camber brought the top of the wheel in more (and the bottom out more) - I'm guessing you'd install a camber kit too (or do the modification 440k has details on (if engineerable!)).

according to the site, the GC110 has F/R 14x6.5(+14.5) and the KPGC110 has F14x8(-6) R14x8.5(-13) out of the factory (well i assume that is what it is according to the table) http://www.rs-watanabe.co.jp/index2.htm

I think that is just the maximum-width table there, the difference being the GC110 doesn't have flares, 'course! Out of factory they both came with 5" steel wheels.

So yeah, did I confuse issues even more? LOL

post-1243-14150795494466_thumb.jpg

no, that is a great help, if 9" fits for you, then 8.5" is good enough for me!, what are your offsets?

I wasn't aware of the 1.3x rule either! but does the difference in wheel offsets mean that it blows out the track change maximum of 26mm?

Would love for some more info on 440k's camber mods too ;D

Whoa!! it's not my modification - I can't take credit for it. :nervous:

It's a fairly common mod done on 1600's, which consists of slotting the holes on the rear crossmember that hold the rear control arms. This has been done on seriously lowered IRS dattos since the 70's.

Datsport sells exchange X-members with the mod, and an adjusting bolt. See HERE for some pics and details of the Datsport kit.

Essentially, you slot the outer brackets fore / aft, so that you can adjust the toe. The inner brackets are slotted up and down, so you can adjust camber.

This can be done at home by a semi skilled handyman with a pencil grinder (or round file). The big trick is to hold it all in place once the adjustment has been done.

Yes, the track is measured from the centreline of the back tyres, so if you put big offset wheels on, then this increases your track. I Think that we may get around it with the fact that the GTR had a wider track (I think? Did it???).

Thing is, as long as it's well done, and you have flares to stop the tyres protruding past the guards, you will get away with it (ie not be picked on for it). I don't know the implications re insurance etc though.

• 2 weeks later...

i have 15x10 watanabes under my 73 c110 ill post pics later if it helps, i still have another 1/2 inch more to be flush with the flare so i can be safe running 11s or maybe 12s. my buddy in japan saw a pair of 15x12s for about 600USD.

mikey

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...