IGNORED

Is there a gas tank that will interchange?

Spdloader

.....with my '76 280Z? I've read where some have been successful, but didn't list the type of tank used. I've run out of ideas on finding a useable replacement OEM tank for it.

Thanks in advance,

Spdloader

A lot of those old tanks have a problem with rust. I talked to my local repair station about getting the gas tank de-rusted and coated on the inside, and it sounds like I'd be better off just buying a new gas tank, instead of trying to repair the old one. The repair guy said the usual treatment was to cut holes in the tank for a sand blaster gun, then blast the whole inside of the tank, repair any rustholes and finally weld the blasting holes closed.

Couldn't you just Evaporust the inside, or use some of the rust-converter stuff on the seal the inside? $600 for a new opr used gas tank is a LOT of money I could use on carpets or engine or suspension instead.

thx

I just took my tank to a local radiator shop and they sent it out to be boiled out. When they got it back they lined the inside. They drilled one hole in the side to let the liner goo drain out, which they pluged with a bolt like the drain on the bottom. Total cost was $120. They even bead blasted my tank straps for an extra $30.

I'd look at some local shops in your area. My tank had very minimal rust though.

I got my info from my local radiator shop too. They told me you can't just boil the tank (or even ultrasonic) because of some new regulations or something like that. They have to sand blast it. If I had mine blasted, I would rather have the hole tank cut at the seam, then welded back together, instead of cutting some holes.

I would tend to agree that boiling doesn't get all the rust out. But you still have to coat the inside or get a bladder or something. Be aware that there are coatings which don't last long.

thx

My car sat for about 8 years.

I had my tank "boiled" out by a radiator shop. They also painted it and it looks really nice. The cost was about $60. Before, the car would run about 5 minutes then the filter would be clogged; after, there has been no problem.

I didn't coat my tank. The raditor shop cautioned against coating it because they said that if the coating starting coming off the tank would be ruined.

I had this one boiled out and cleaned, but it wasn't coated. When I re-installed it, I put a glass type filter inline between the tank and pump, just to see what comes out and to protect the new pump. Just sitting and idling, nothing shows up in the filter, but a little tap on the bottom of the tank, or rock the car sideways, and the filter fills up with rust and the car obviously stalls. ( I know the new pump appreciates it!)

This car sat for seven years, and I rescued it three months ago and I've been working on it since.

The gas tank is my last obstacle before being able to put it on the road.

Thanks for all the replies!

Spdloader

1976 280Z (Stock)

I took my tank to the local radiator shop, they let it sit in an acid bath for four days, and

rinsed it out for $40, I am going to move and replace the lines with larger lines, and work the tank filter from a 280ZX onto the pickup. I will use the POR15 Tank sealer ( http://www.por15.com/product.asp?productid=163 ) and metal ready to take care of the tank.

Will

Well, I found locally a product called Red-Kote, from DamonQ. I am currently coating the tank, putting on three coats, the third one being the last, so I'll be able to report on it's progress by the weekend. It cost 26.95 a qt can, and used about 1-1/2 qts.

Spdloader

If I recall correctly Wick Humble talks about using some kind of coating that is used the aircraft biz in his "how to restore your datsun z book. " I dont have access to the book at the moment but i'm sure a number of you do.