IGNORED

'71 240Z What do you think?

jmark

Thanks Marty. I may go ahead and get the NISMO kit. I think my car is an early Series II car. It has the vertical rear window defogger and gas door latch but side air vents. Here is a pic of the original warranty card w/date & VIN. I think it should be a type A tranny.

post-5664-14150795208778_thumb.jpg

My bad...

Type A is the tranny where the shifter is closer to the bellhousing Type B are the others...

But the ZX 5 speed is slightly modified in regards to the bracket that holds the shifter in place.

I knew I was wrong...thanks Bambi!

What's the build date stamped into the door jam?

Check Bambi's response: "Notation at the bottom of that page indicates it's for 240Z's mfg'd up to 8/71"

If you have a Series II, you have a Type B tranny and this kit won't fit.

Marty

Thanks Marty,

My bad...

I was wondering, I know for a fact that the stock bushings make a huge difference from the old worn out ones to just new ones (the 2 side ones and the ball part that drops into tranny)....what kind of difference is there between new stock and the performance ones you have? Any links on where to get them?

Thank you very much in advance.

jamrk,

I went back and looked at your pictures again. Your car has the ash tray in front of the shifter, so it DOES have a Type A tranny.

You said it has vertical defrosters? And I see it has the fresh air vents on the side instead of the hatch. It appears that you have one of the transition cars. Right on the edge of the change over to the new style.

Dogma said: "I was wondering, I know for a fact that the stock bushings make a huge difference from the old worn out ones to just new ones (the 2 side ones and the ball part that drops into tranny)....what kind of difference is there between new stock and the performance ones you have? Any links on where to get them?" What you are describing sounds like a Type B trans. The kit that I have and what jmark showed from the Courtesy website are for the Type A trans only. I have seen sound so-called "performance bushings" for the Type B trans on Ebay, but I have not first hand knowledge of how well they work. Anybody out there use those??

Marty

Marty,

I think the build date on my 240Z is 2/71. So that NISMO kit should work fine. My '78 280Z 5 speed has the bushing kit I got from Chloe at Midwest Z and it helped the shift feel alot. It is just a couple of replacement bushings as I recall.

Jmark,

That's the one.

The Type A tranny was only used on the '70 and early '71 models. When they swithed to the "Type II" series 240Z, they switched to the Type B tranny. All the 5spds are considered Type B trannies too.

Actually, beginning with the Series-III 1972 Model Year Start According To Nissan the New Features For The 72 Model Year Included:

Flip Forward Seats, New Hub Caps, Center Console Redesigned, Gas Tank Door Latch Eliminated, 5 Inch Wide Wheels Made Standard, New 4sp. Trans. Design, Rear End Moved Rearward 35mm (about 1.5 inches), Auto Seat Belt Retractors, Seat Belt Warning Buzzer & Seat Belt Warning Light

(This production began around 9/71 or 10/71)

Mark: FWIW, most Z's (HLS30-U) produced prior to 12/71 had vertical defroster grids. This inclues Series I, II, and the earliest Series III versions. My 11/71 Series III has vertical defrosters. But I agree, your car (if mfg'd in 2/71 would be a Series II)

FWIW to anyone, I measured on my spare "A" and "B" transmissions.

On the "A" trans, the shifter mounts EXTERNALLY 31 inches from the front edge of the bell housing.

On the "B" trans, the shifter mounts INTERNALLY 29 inches from the front edge of the bell housing

Jmark, i have all we need to do ANY thing but make the hose, just let me know!
Thanks Don. I'll be in touch soon. The owner bought a metal splice fitting so you can cut out the bad part of the hose and join the two hoses together. He will include with the car. If that works it will just need a charge I guess. Any help you can give me would be appreciated.