IGNORED

Thinking of installing an 81-83 5 speed

I screwed mine up... So my "help" will be what not to do. I didn't notice the difference in the forks until AFTER I had everything buttoned up. Then I got to the clutch slave installation and saw the later fork had no hole for the rod to pass through. After scratching my head for a few momments=, I called my buddy Les at CDM. "Hey Les", "Got this problem.", "Just installed an 80 5 speed and I can't hook up the clutch.". "No prob" he said, "Use the 4 speed fork!". Well, I couldn't follow his advice, because I had wore out my welcome to the auto shop's lift. They had PAYING customers waiting! So, I cut the rod to match the fork. That was more than a year ago, and it works fine, BUT, come the day my clutch needs adjusting, I'll be out of luck and will have to pull it all and do it right then.

That's my "help".

I can't think of any reason you can't use the the 5 speed fork and slave cylinder for this?

That's what I am planning on doing if/when I go to a 5-speed or change clutches again.

Fork used in 73 4-speeds is used through 78 for ALL Z's, same for slave cylinder. I'd rather use the self-adjusting fork/slave (73-78) You just have to use the fork designed to be used with the appropriate slave.

NOTE, You MUST use the appropriate T/O bearing collar for the CLUTCH/PRESSURE PLATE you are using.

Well I took a look at Z Barn's web site.

zguitar71, Do you just E-mail them and tell them what part your looking for and they locate one for you???? I didn't see any transmissions for sale on there site but I did see there order form. Also did you say that they rebuilt yours??? I'd probably have them do mine as well. Do they rebuild them with the factory OEM Parts?

Thanks again

Marty

Do not re-use the throwout bearing COLLAR from the 4spd - it's 5mm (approx 1/4" too long) - you'll need to use the throwout bearing COLLAR from the 5spd for proper clutch engagement... I know...

The bearings themselves though are identical from what I can tell so no worries if you already bought a new one... you can get it pressed onto the 5spd collar.

-e

What I used on my 72 was: everything from flywheel back was 77 5 speed....the slave, fork, clutch, pressure plate, throw out, all was 77 5 speed. Works great...I did need the clutch, and the tranny had a real good fork/throw out on it, so it was an easy decision. But everything matched the year of the tranny. Plus the slave is self adjusting which is nice.

I did have to adjust the clutch pedal nut on the thingy that pushes against the piston on the clutch master, had to thread it almost to max (master was original 72 style but i think its the same)...when this adjustment was done, clutch is smooth as silk in operation.

One more quick note---

I had to pull the tranny twice, and my car is just jacked up, no tranny jack, just using muscles :surprised

Trust me, I tried every combo to save money, and believe me, just have everything except flywheel match the tranny's year of manufacture...make sure the slave, all clutch pieces, fork, and throw out bearing match the 5 speed's year....the 5 speed stuff is more refined anyways in design, imo because the clutch is so much smoother than when I had the 4 speed installed.

Just my .02 dollars.

I can't think of any reason you can't use the the 5 speed fork and slave cylinder for this?

That's what I am planning on doing if/when I go to a 5-speed or change clutches again.

Fork used in 73 4-speeds is used through 78 for ALL Z's, same for slave cylinder. I'd rather use the self-adjusting fork/slave (73-78) You just have to use the fork designed to be used with the appropriate slave.

NOTE, You MUST use the appropriate T/O bearing collar for the CLUTCH/PRESSURE PLATE you are using.

Thanks Carl......mmmmmmmmm yah, the right TO brg collar....not the fork!!! I was having a senior moment....sorry guys!

Well I took a look at Z Barn's web site.

zguitar71, Do you just E-mail them and tell them what part your looking for and they locate one for you???? I didn't see any transmissions for sale on there site but I did see there order form. Also did you say that they rebuilt yours??? I'd probably have them do mine as well. Do they rebuild them with the factory OEM Parts?

Thanks again

I have gotten parts from them through E-mail without a problem but with the trans I talked to the owner. With an item that pricey I felt better talking to a person. He is very hard to reach on the phone. I had no problems with the trans, shipping or anything else and I do recomend them and many other people have written positive threads about the Zbarn on this and other sites (which is the way I decided to go to them for parts).

It still seems like I am getting conflicting info here. It might just be me. It's been a REALLY long day.

If I read between the lines, I think what I am hearing here is: you should keep all the parts matched, clutch, throwout bearing collar, fork and slave. Either use all the parts from the 71 240Z or all of the parts from the 280Z to match the trans. Is that right???

Marty

It still seems like I am getting conflicting info here. It might just be me. It's been a REALLY long day.

If I read between the lines, I think what I am hearing here is: you should keep all the parts matched, clutch, throwout bearing collar, fork and slave. Either use all the parts from the 71 240Z or all of the parts from the 280Z to match the trans. Is that right???

Marty

Marty, I did this conversion and purchased new parts....everything inside the bell housing. They were all ordered to fix the 81 to 83 5 speed tranny. Regarding the slave cylinder....I don't think it matters as long as the parts interface correctly (outside end of clutch fork and the push rod in the slave cylinder). I think the key is the TO brg collar, as Carl mentioned. Hope this clears it up!

Let me try. (disclaimer - I could be wrong) the difference is in the height of the flywheel/cluch disk/pressureplate. The stacked height of these components on the 240Z was less than the height on the 280Z. Therefore, the T/O bearing collar is longer on the 240 than the 280. When swapping JUST the transmission and NOT the flywheel/cluch disk/pressureplate components, you must use the longer T/O collar. Your free to swap forks/slave cylinders as you wish, but the T/O collar must match the clutch components.

Comments on this Draft are welcome.

Therefore, the T/O bearing collar is longer on the 240 than the 280. When swapping JUST the transmission and NOT the flywheel/cluch disk/pressureplate components, you must use the longer T/O collar. Your free to swap forks/slave cylinders as you wish, but the T/O collar must match the clutch components.

Comments on this Draft are welcome.

But if I keep the 240 clutch pressure plate and disk, and use the longer 280 collar, that would be a mismatch of the parts.

Marty