IGNORED

Stromberg 175 CD-2 SE vs. SU Carbs?

Ok, I've got an early '74 260Z, stock, with the dreaded flat-top Hitachis. They've been sitting forever, so they're gummed up and don't really even work. I went to a local salvage yard, and asked if they had any Datsun carbs, and the guy gives me a pair of carbs, with manifold, that (being the newbie I am) I thought were round tops. It turns out that they are actually Stromberg 175 CD-2 SE carbs, mounted on what looks like a Datsun intake manifold, although I've yet to be able to verify that 100%.

My question is, how do these Strombergs compare to the SU's, either flat or round top? Should I even mess with them, or should I take them back to the guy and tell them they're not the right carbs for my car? Will they even work?

Any help on this would be GREATLY appreciated....

Not to be rude, but i feel a little compelled to interject. Firstly, for what reasons are Strombergs crap? I too would like to know what differences there are between 'proper' Su's [like the ones i have on me c110] vs strombergs? I was considering at one stage buying a set of 'bergs but i knew little about them, aside from the fact that holden successfully used a triple stromberg setup on the LJ Torana GTR XU1. Many other manufacturers im sure, used this setup to their advantage. So why didnt holden decide for a twin, or triple SU setup? I think a little more information, other than 'theyre crap', is needed before a decision is made? Regards,

Tom

snip..

Many other manufacturers im sure, used this setup to their advantage. So why didnt holden decide for a twin, or triple SU setup? I think a little more information, other than 'theyre crap', is needed before a decision is made? Regards,

Tom

And Nissan used SU's to their full potential on the L series!

Don't bother with them.....

Either O/H the flat tops, contary to some opinion they are a good carb once overhauled, or if money isn't an issue, just pickup a re-built set of round tops.

HIH

MOM

FWIW, the "Flat-Top's received on Z's in the USA are FAR DIFFERENT than the Flat-Top's received elsewhere. We call them "Boat Anchors" for a reason.

I think the flat tops on the 260z here in Australia were the same as in the US.

I tend to agree that you can't really say Strombergs were garbage anymore than i can say flat tops are garbage. I'd have a read at www.ztherapy.com and make up your own mind.

in my opinion you should take the strombergs back since you don't know if they are the correct size for your motor and if they are correctly set for your car with fuel metering etc..

You'd be best off spending extra money on a set of 240z style SU's and correctly building them to suit your L26 once correctly set the SU's shouldn't give you much hassles.

Oh btw the best SU's in my opinion are Hitachi Su's and not the british made ones for reasons as described in the website above.

FWIW, the "Flat-Top's received on Z's in the USA are FAR DIFFERENT than the Flat-Top's received elsewhere. We call them "Boat Anchors" for a reason.

Statements like that are what keep the general opinion of flat tops where it is. Not wanting to start that argument up all over again, I just want to say that I have had success with them on two different cars and know of others who have also had success with them. There isn't much difference between the US and other versions. I have been told (I believe by Bruce Palmer in another thread) that the flat tops I had on my 510 were Datsun Comp. flat tops. They weren't. They came from a 73 240Z. After a rebuild and a little tinkering, they worked fine for me. I also had them on my 73 620, those were from a 260Z. Again, no problems. Don't believe everything you hear, no matter how many times you hear it. Just my experience and my $.02.

My statement isn't based on what I've heard, but what I've experienced (just like you). I owned a 73 240Z with them, and drove it for several years. Had them tuned by several different Z Specialty shops (including FAR Performance, one of the leading Z Shops on the West Coast, back in the Day) in that time as well, When I switched to 3-Screw Round-Tops I noticed considerable difference in performance.

I would be very surprised if OZ or other markets received carbs designed to meet US Federal (or CA) Emission standards.

I do remember FAR Performance. The carbs I ran were not stock carbs, per se. As far as the flat tops I used, the 'tinkering' I mentioned made them work much better but also made it tougher for them to pass the emission test. Remember the 'Hamilton Stations?' Anyway, a couple of friends of mine, Paul Corbin, rest his soul, and Elvan Meneses, who sill runs Z car Specality in Upland, and I approached them similarly to how you would approach blueprinting a Holley, or a Rochester carb. As I recall, it involved some drilling, machining, closing off things, etc. This was in the late 70s-early 80s. No one really has much interest in them today so there isn't much being done with them. In their stock form, I would have to agree with the general consesus.