IGNORED

Good Helmet to Get

TomoHawk

So do you even wear a seat belt tomohawk?

I learned to wear a seat belt in the 80's. My car had vinyl seats, and if you didn't have it on, you'd wind up sliding onto the floor.

It's also the state law in Ohio, and should be that way everywhere.

Actually, I started this topic because my search didn't turn up any recommendarion or useful stuff regarding helmets & competition.

Maybe somebody else would like to start somed topics on clothing, shoes, support gear ( stuff you keep in the car) or whatever else?

I think Zguitar (#2) and SuperDave (#4) had the best comments.

thx.

It's also the state law in Ohio, and should be that way everywhere.

California also. If the car was origally equipped with seat belts they must be worn by all occupants of the vehicle. I even installed seatbelts in my 320 pickup even though it was not originally equipped with them.

You want to get respect on the highway? Fasten your WINDOW NET in place. That, plus your helmet, will show everybody you mean business!

Super dave, the hair net would be a good option here , or maby a butterfly net. ROFLROFL Tommy your a riot :stupid: I know you can't be serious here.

Actually, I started this topic because my search didn't turn up any recommendarion or useful stuff regarding helmets & competition.

Maybe somebody else would like to start somed topics on clothing, shoes, support gear ( stuff you keep in the car) or whatever else?

I think Zguitar (#2) and SuperDave (#4) had the best comments.

thx.

Tomo, the reason you are getting such varied and possibly incredulous comments may be that with your tenacity and proclivity in discovering truly new and remotely esoteric venues, people are retiscent to post for fear of exacerbating it.

So, in hopes of giving you an answer adequate to your needs:

If you are going to be racing on a properly sanctioned and certified race track and with a group or in an event that is sanctioned / sponsored with a national organization, you'd be best served to contact that group's safety coordinator and find out what the rules / regulations are.

What is considered acceptable in one class / race / weight group / engine group / ... may be woefully inadequate in another and a gross overkill in another. How much overkill can only be determined by those folks that participate, see them for your amount of overkill.

If, on the other hand, you are referring to racing on the street / highway which are nominally called public access roads, then the helmet I would recommend is that extra thick (about 3"-4") of styrofoam and fiberglassmodel with the extra large holes in quadrants. Bicycle helmets look very similar, with the air holes and straps, but not with the fins, although they would be cool to some. The ear pieces sometimes are extended around the ear so that no damage may occur to the ear cartilage, and there are extensions covering the cheeks while still leaving room for the nose.

It has a mouth guard AND padded chin guard and two sets of straps to hold it firmly on the head. One set comes down and around the chin, the other set goes down and around the back of the head, then there is this collar type that goes around the neck and through the front and rear straps to ensure that your head pops off your body before the helmet comes off your head. This is a serious device, it's intent is to ensure that regardless of repeated and repetitious impacts upon the head area do not impart the damage to the brain.

Most often, when you see them in use, you'll note that they're colored very brightly, and will usually have the sponsor's information or point of contact information with respect to the individual wearing the helmet, for emergency uses.

I tried to find you a couple of URL's for each so here goes:

For Racing Helmets, this guy's site (search engine find):

http://www.norcalcrx.org/tyson/helmet.html

For Information on Helmet Laws:

http://www.kenkifer.com/bikepages/advocacy/mhls.htm

And unfortunately, regarding the helmet I was envisioning, I couldn't find a good reference on the web to link to, and I just about went nuts doing so. So, since I'm not sure if your original post was to have someone else do the research for you and then post their findings and that's what I've done, and I can't find a good link for the final example, or because you are serious about going out and racing on the highway, which is probably what happened to you. In looking to answer the predicament of which helmet to buy and going with your first instinct, and looking for the same URL link that I was and.... that's what drove you bonkers.

So I'll just say it this way......

See Star Wars, the original movie. In one of the first scenes, you remember the guys in the hard, white plastic uniforms?

SNIP

I think you get my point!

E